right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Sending a kid to college in a state that is trying to ban abortions

13»

Replies to: Sending a kid to college in a state that is trying to ban abortions

• chb088chb088 935 replies31 postsRegistered User Member
    FYI, I saw this posts on The Latest Posts page, not the Parents Forum.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1323 replies1 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    So is the opposite true? Anyone avoiding states that have expanded their abortion laws, like Virginia?
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 1781 replies6 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 12
    Things like academic quality, health care access, safety, recruiting, cost, accessibility, etc. are far more important.
    Health care access is under discussion here.
    it does seem that the boycotts and outrage only run in one direction
    Maybe just the publicity around them. I have certainly heard of conservative people who would not consider certain states/colleges. Example, we had a young Uber driver in Atlanta who was looking at grad school, and vehemently told us he would never consider the UC system because of Californian politics.

edited June 12
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4632 replies41 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not a consideration. I have 4 daughters and 3 sons. Four kids out of college, one in college.
    Two daughters yet to decide on colleges. They are pro-life, so, no, abortion availability would be about the last thing they'd be looking for in a college.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1207 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I asked D20 tonight if she would attend a college in a state that banned abortions and without hesitation she said “no” but she also said that if she was ever in that position in college that she would fly home to CA to be with us, her parents, regardless if her OOS college allowed abortions or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard 2103 replies20 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 12
    Not an issue for us at this point, but would factor into an overall choice about fit.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 12
    ^^^yes.

In my old age I have decided boycotts of geographic areas probably aren't a good way to change minds. It is possible to change the culture from the inside, and not always in a confrontational way.

It is easy to avoid those with whom we disagree. Making them our neighbors, and then friends, and spending enough time with them they don't find our different views as outrageous as they once imagined can be an interesting exercise.. in my personal experience. At the least there is an opportunity to support those with minority views, who don't have the ability to get up and leave a geographic locale.

College students shouldn't be expected to work for social change, but if they choose to do so I certainly support them.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34095 replies389 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 12
    My kids have both graduated from college. I allowed them to formulate their own lists and make their own choices. Both are somewhat politically aware—S moreso than D.

I think they would have been quite unlikely to have wanted to attend a U in states who have passed restrictive abortion laws.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2809 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't think it is unusual to consider a state's laws as part of the environment. I knew several kids from my daughter's class who chose Colorado colleges expressly for the purpose of continuing their drug habits, and seem to have settled in well there. That was a priority for them, and it made sense to find a place with lax enforcement or liberal laws so that they had no legal state consequences to their habit.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55107 replies2859 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 12
    Agree with @LoveTheBard - go to the state, become politically active and fix it!
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 711 replies5 postsRegistered User Member
    edited June 12
    Mine are in or off to college and aren't impacted by this, but they probably wouldn't choose to take a job and live in a state that restricts reproductive choice. There seems to be a lot of overlap with other issues that concern them, so they probably wouldn't be clamoring to go anyway.

It's not a boycott issue, it's strictly quality of life.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38465 replies6724 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited June 12
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    I believe my instructions earlier in the thread were clear, yet I was forced to temporarily close the thread this morning to delete posts and warn users for ToS violations. Having done that, I reopened the thread, and within 10 minutes, every new post had a rules violation. Since it's apparent to me that this thread requires too much time to monitor, it is now closed for good.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity