right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

1359360361362363365»

Replies to: one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

• EconPopEconPop 67 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    "The Warmth Of Other Suns" by Isabel Wilkerson.
    Follows three different families' journeys during three different decades of the Great Migration. Along the way, it includes many facts and anecdotes not directly related to those families.
    Very moving.
    · Reply · Share
    "The Mountain" by Paul Yoon.
    A collection of short stories about people trapped in dangerous wartime locales. Focuses on the humanity of the situation, and never gets into the larger issues of countries and soldiers.

This is the second book I've read by Yoon. He is an author with great literary talent.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1273 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,283 Senior Member
    @EconPop
    Love “warmth of other suns”. Moving and very informative, I learned so much about the great migration and its impacts to American society.
    · Reply · Share
    @makemesmart ,
    Me too. I ended up feeling embarrassed that I learned so much, because I felt like I should have known more about something so impactful. But I'm glad I know it now. It really is an informative and great book.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1038 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    I haven't gone through the whole thread, but I just finished and loved Educated by Tara Westover. Biography of her life growing up with Mormon survivalist parents in the mountains of Idaho. Along the lines of The Glass Castle, another of my all time favorites.
    Starting Before We Were Yours now, which I've heard great things about.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3439 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,475 Senior Member
    I finished hillbilly elegy, which would be a great read vs audio, I didn't mind the narration on the audio book but it wasn't great. But the content and subject was really well done. Recommended reading.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3439 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,475 Senior Member
    And for light fluff with a li'l undertow, the Liane Moriarty audio books are all really engaging.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16720 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,876 Senior Member
    edited July 12
    Finished Eleanor Oliphant. Great book.

I read some of the 1 star reviews on Amazon. I don't think we read the same novel.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22849 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,033 Senior Member
    I've been trying to force my way through Swamplandia! and having a hard time. I'm finding the writing style overdone, and really I don't like reptiles, swamps, or Florida. :) Just got The Tattooist of Auschwitz out of the library and will start it shortly. I've been finding it difficult to pick out things I really want to read at the library lately.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1273 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,283 Senior Member
    Highly recommend “the oversotry” by Richard Power. I am only 140 pages in, I. Love. It!
    Bought the paper version from Amazon so that DH and DS could read it too. Each story is titled by one character, they are all connected one way or another by trees (“the solidified air”/“the passage between earth and sky”), American chestnut, maple, Douglas fir, Linden, aspens, oak, elm, ..., each story moves me and touches me. So beautifully written!
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8832 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,910 Senior Member
    A good friend recommended this book, and I found it a very worthwhile read - "Being Mortal : Medicine and What Matters in the End" by Dr Atul Gawande. I bought a used copy online, but I see you can get the PDF from ebay for $1.50.
    · Reply · Share
  • TempeMomTempeMom 2965 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,990 Senior Member
    Hated Swamplandia.
    · Reply · Share