right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I Retake a 760 on Math 2??

scottt23scottt23 19 replies11 threads Junior Member
Hello! I'm a rising senior and I just received my SAT Subject Test scores back from June 2019, and I was concerned with my results. I saw that I got a 760 on Math 2, which equates to the 63rd percentile. I'd taken precalculus for the year prior, and recieved very high grades in the class. While I am not looking to major in STEM (prospectively international relations/political science), I have also been considering majoring in economics. My dream schools are Yale, Princeton and UPenn. Should I retake my Math 2 subject test if I'm aiming to get into these schools? FWIW, I also got a 1550 on my SAT, a 790 on World History subject test and an 800 on US History. Thanks so much!
edited July 2019
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I Retake a 760 on Math 2??

• MWolfMWolf 2535 replies14 threads Senior Member
    The reason that a 760 is at the 63% percentile is because only people who are really good at math take Math II. It is similar to the fact that 43% of the kids who take AP Calc BC get a 5, while only 19% of the kids who take only AP Calc AB get a 5, even though it's only about half the material of BC. For Math II, even a perfect score is only the 79th percentile.

You are in the top 37th percentile of the kids with the strongest math skills.

So no, I wouldn't recommend that you take it again, though others may have a different take.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2239 replies36 threads Senior Member
    As almost all schools require/request two Subject Tests or fewer, and you have an 800 and 790 on your record, I see no reason to take it again. Especially given a non-STEM application.
    · Reply · Share
  • scottt23scottt23 19 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Thanks so much for your responses! @RichInPitt in this case should I still report my Math 2 score and would it matter that the other 2 subjects are both history/humanities?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2239 replies36 threads Senior Member
    I probably still would. Worst case, they ignore it because they only look at 2. But that's a very good score for non-STEM applicants, so I think it would be beneficial if factored in. Neutral at worst.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity