right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

First SAT Practice Test

offclethantoffclethant 7 replies6 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi all! I'm a rising sophomore and decided to look into some SAT prep. Today (07/16/2019) I took a practice test on khan academy and received a score of 1170 (M: 580 RW: 590).
I was wondering how good of a score this is at the moment and if you guys had any tips.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: First SAT Practice Test

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2099 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    That's an average score for all test takers, and decent for a rising sophomore. You can expect that to improve year-over year without any prep, simply because you'll be learning new skills in your classes. Without a lot of prep, however, your scores may not hit the 1500+ mark that you'd want to be at for highly selective colleges. You didn't say what colleges you're hoping to attend, though, and that could influence your prep strategy. High scores are necessary for highly selective colleges, for "rack and stack" admissions, and for many scholarships. There isn't a lot of summer left, so you'll need to strike a balance with your other obligations, especially when school starts again, so factor that into your planning. Personally I would focus on grades now, and begin test prep next summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1403 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What your freshman math class? SAT math covers to algebra II, so if you are planning to take that in your sophomore year, your math score will definitely improve, so will your EBRW. It might also be a good idea to give ACT a try to see whether that testing format suits you better.
    Keep practicing.
    · Reply · Share
  • offclethantoffclethant 7 replies6 threadsRegistered User New Member
    thank you, i took alg 2 my freshman year
    · Reply · Share