right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can Ivy league make you leave after injury

CA92071CA92071 2 replies1 threads New Member
If i was accepted to an Ivy League and got injured after say first year and am no longer able to play, would I be able to continue the next 3 years at school. My parents don't want me to attend a school that recruited me and want me to just attend a school that I was accepted for just GPA.
18 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can Ivy league make you leave after injury

• one1ofeachone1ofeach 776 replies17 threads Member
    I think you’re fine because you get financial aid at an ivy, not athletic scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23833 replies17 threads Senior Member
    No school can make you leave (academically) because of a sport injury. They can cut you from the team and may be able to not renew the athletic scholarship. There is no athletic scholarship at an Ivy and you never have to play at all and still go to the Ivy.
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 776 replies17 threads Member
    But that’s a legit question that your parents can ask the coach if they are nervous that you found the answer online! Don’t be afraid to ask questions throughout te recruiting process.
    · Reply · Share
  • CA92071CA92071 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks. I did not bring this up to the Coach because I did not want to sound negative.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6545 replies115 threads Senior Member
    @CA92071,

You could be recruited by and admitted to an Ivy League school, get to campus and decide you just didn't want to play, and the school could not kick you out or even cut your financial aid.

· Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 440 replies4 threads Member
    Your status as a student will not be affected by your participation in a sport whether you are injured, decide to quit before practice starts, or win an NCAA championship. Academic status and financial aid are completely separate from those things.

One thing your parents do need to understand if they don’t already is that your financial aid is not set for four years. It can fluctuate every year based on their and your income and savings. However, these changes will have nothing to do with athletic participation.
    · Reply · Share
  • CA92071CA92071 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I get good grades with 4.9 GPA and probably would not have looked at IL unless the coach recruited me. I want to play, but also want to make sure I finish at the school I start. With sports... you never know what can happen.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6545 replies115 threads Senior Member
    That's one of the nice things about Ivy League and D3 schools. If something happens and you can't play neither your status as a student nor your FA package changes. The downside is that you can miss out on athletic scholarships. If you have a lot of financial need or finances really aren't a concern these schools can be a great choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • recruitparentrecruitparent 67 replies2 threads Junior Member
    As others have stated, "no longer able to play" will have no impact on your aid or any other aspect of remaining at the IL school. In fact it is fairly common that not all recruits will play all 4-years do to injuries, surgery or other reasons.
    I would tell you and your parents not to worry about a school wanting you for a sport and not just for your GPA. With the IL and most top academic schools it is a combo of both your sport & GPA/grades, etc. The better your AI, the more opportunities.
    I would embrace sports opening up opportunites for you but in the end, choose the school on the best fit for you and your family. In my opinion, athletics is an important part of the equation for a recruit but I give equal or even more weight to the other factors such as the school fit for you, the schools academic reputation, cost, etc.
    Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • EUgirlEUgirl 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Even with head count D1 school the athletic scholarship (full tuition and board) is signed for 1 year. With signing the student get the 1 year. The student has to signed every year. If the student is injured it’s up to the coach to red shirt the student. If student is not red shirted than the athletic scholarship is lost. But the student remains at the school as a regular students. With Ivys you should ask what happens if a student is injured and not red shirted. Will it impact the financial aid?
    · Reply · Share
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom 2842 replies49 threads Senior Member
    @EUgirl At Ivy League schools, financial aid is not tied to sports participation (or any other activity, for that matter). They are entirely separate. There are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. Ivy League athletes do not "sign" scholarship forms or letters of intent.

If an athlete is injured, or just decides they no longer want to play, it will not affect their financial aid. Often, Ivy League athletes decide that athletics are too time consuming and decide to quit the sport to focus on academics and other extra curriculars.

Ivy League coaches do not participate in financial aid decisions - aid packages are determined based on need by the admissions office.
    · Reply · Share
    If the student is injured it’s up to the coach to red shirt the student. If student is not red shirted than the athletic scholarship is lost.

Students do have some rights and can appeal if the coach cuts a scholarship for injury or for other reasons. Also, some schools do have multiyear scholarships now. The Big 10 and Pac 12 require them so athletes have a lot more security.

That doesn't matter at an Ivy as there are no athletic scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1038 replies18 threads Senior Member
    EUgirl wrote: »
    Even with head count D1 school the athletic scholarship (full tuition and board) is signed for 1 year. With signing the student get the 1 year. The student has to signed every year. If the student is injured it’s up to the coach to red shirt the student. If student is not red shirted than the athletic scholarship is lost. But the student remains at the school as a regular students. With Ivys you should ask what happens if a student is injured and not red shirted. Will it impact the financial aid?

There are no athletic scholarships, and no "merit" whether academic, athletic or any other type of scholarships at the IL. All financial aid is need based. Athletic participation is completely irrelevant.
    · Reply · Share
  • EUgirlEUgirl 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Yes, I understand that. So when student athlete is admitted and given financial aid based on need. Is the financial aid just for 1 year? Or secured until graduation? I had an impression it’s for 1 year.
    · Reply · Share
  • politepersonpoliteperson 440 replies4 threads Member
    ^ Ivy FA is re-evaluated each year for all students, athletes included. If an athlete is injured or quits there’ll be no effect on FA (that is, it’ll be the same as if that particular athlete was still playing).
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, I understand that. So when student athlete is admitted and given financial aid based on need. Is the financial aid just for 1 year? Or secured until graduation? I had an impression it’s for 1 year.

I think all Ivy league schools require the students to submit new FA forms every year. FAFSA is required to be submitted every year.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1038 replies18 threads Senior Member

@politeperson and @twoinanddone are correct. I'd just add that the Ivy schools have a reputation for maintaining or increasing the FA award over the four years as long as the family financial situation remains the same.

That is in contrast to some other schools which are known to "low ball" the cost of attendance the first year with a generous package, then cut it rather severely in future years.
    · Reply · Share
  • recruitparentrecruitparent 67 replies2 threads Junior Member
    agree with @politeperson & @twoinanddone and @tdy123
    Our experiance was IL FA did not decrease if the family situation remained pretty much the same and may increase in some circumstances.
    · Reply · Share