right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Start Term for Common App

saurabh000345saurabh000345 1 replies2 threads New Member
The Commonapp form only gives me the option for Fall 2020 which is for the September joinings. I've checked specific university websites and their timelines ask for applications in the month of November for EA and December to January for Regulars. Should I leave it blank and wait for Spring 2021 or does preferred start term not affect the application at all?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Start Term for Common App

• izrk02izrk02 Forum Champion American U. 1006 replies46 threads Forum Champion
    edited March 25
    I'm guessing you're a current junior thinking of applying for spring admission. The common app officially won't open for you until August 1st. So you won't be able to input term information until then.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
  • virgosunvirgosun 20 replies7 threads Junior Member
    You definitely need to put the correct start term. Only put in the one you're applying to!!!! Otherwise, the admissions officers will be looking at your app in the context of the term you applied to and you will be admitted/rejected to that, not whatever one you intend to enter. You can still fill out most of the information, I believe, and it will roll over at August 1st and you can enter the right term (though I think there are somethings that will not roll over to 2021 application, like essays).
    · Reply · Share
  • BarbaraCruzBarbaraCruz 29 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Is it possible to start filling in the Common App for a ‘21 high school graduate?
    My S’21 has lots of free time on his hands due to stay-at-home order and reduced distance learning. So I’d like to recommend to him that he start filling in his courses/grades and demographic info into the common app. That will keep him busy and free up a little time in the early Fall when hopefully the stay-at-home is not in effect.
    Is this possible or must he wait until August to begin the process?
    · Reply · Share
  • izrk02izrk02 Forum Champion American U. 1006 replies46 threads Forum Champion
    edited April 26
    @BarbaraCruz He can start filling out the common app portion, but not the individual schools yet. So he can fill out things like family info, his common app essay, testing info, etc.
    The school portion will reset on August 1. The essay prompts provided for individual schools might also change so don’t have him start writing any of those essays yet unless you know 100% they will be used for next year.
    edited April 26
    · Reply · Share