right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Which college? Lehigh, McGill or Case

beaglemombeaglemom 111 replies19 threads Junior Member
Hi. I am wondering if anyone has advice on deciding between Lehigh, McGill or Case for a senior based in the States - mid-Atlantic region, who is open to city or not (but in my opinion falsely thinks Lehigh is close to a city), open to being far from home, wants to double major in history and a science or engineering, and money is not a deciding issue (although got into the honor's college and money from Case). What are the pros and cons of these schools? She is not much of a party person, does not drink, drugs, etc. but is plenty social.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which college? Lehigh, McGill or Case

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10213 replies119 threads Senior Member
    I would pick Case based on the description of your daughter. Lehigh has a strong Greek culture and is known for their parties. McGill would be a very non traditional college experience. Case is in a super part of Cleveland - in the heart of the cultural hub. D has many friends at Case - all absolutely love it and those that have graduated easily were employed.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    Agree that your daughter may be a bit uncomfortable at Lehigh.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6551 replies1 threads Senior Member
    McGill is right in the middle of a very interesting bilingual city. Montreal is safer than comparably size US cities, but is still a big city. There is a lot to do right there. I have heard that students usually move out of dorms into apartments for their second year and thereafter (you are not required to ever live in a dorm). McGill will be academically challenging. It is a large school and they will treat you like an adult -- for example if you need help you are going to have to take upon yourself to go looking for it.

The drinking age in Montreal is 18. I have heard that this partly moves the drinking out of the dorms and into the bars and nightclubs.
    · Reply · Share
  • 57special57special 703 replies16 threads Member
    I don't know that I would say that McGill is non traditional, especially when compared to Case. And I sure as hell wouldn't tout the cultural superiority of the immediate area around Case vs. McGill- it's not really a contest in that regard.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5377 replies91 threads Senior Member
    edited April 6
    What does your D find appealing about McGill? It is much larger than CWRU and Lehigh, and does not offer the support and structure that many US universities do. It is in a vibrant (but cold!) city.

Agree with the comments that Lehigh is a work hard, play hard school. Overall students seem more mainstream than the ones at CWRU, who seem relatively more nerdy. Agree it's tough to call Allentown a city, and the immediate area surrounding Lehigh is sketchy.

I am sure your D could find her peeps anywhere, but probably lean CWRU.
    edited April 6
    · Reply · Share