right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UM or UI

2»

Replies to: UM or UI

• CCRunner123CCRunner123 1204 replies76 threads Senior Member
    I hate to bring USNEWS into this, but Michigan is ranked 25...Illinois is ranked 38. Whether or not you agree with the methodology of the ranking, Michigan has more then a "slight" edge over UIUC, as good a school as it is.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlexandreAlexandre 24280 replies434 threads Senior Member
    CCRunner, I don't think a 15 spot difference in the USNWR is that significant. But a 0.5 difference in Peer assessment score is. Michigan has a peer assessment score of 4.5 and Illinois has a peer assessment score of 4.0. No university in the US has more than a 0.4 advantage over Michigan. Harvard, MIT, Princeton and Stanford have peer assessment scores of 4.9. Yale and Cal have a peer assessment score of 4.8. Caltech has a peer assessment score of 4.7. No other university has a peer assessment score higher than 4.6.
    · Reply · Share
  • vc08vc08 3188 replies152 threads Senior Member
    There are 15 spots separating Michigan and Ohio State in USNWR public school rankings..... ^_^
    · Reply · Share
    15 spots when looking at state schools does make a difference. Michigan is one of the top 3 state schools, OSU is not one of the top 15. That's a significant difference. But in the overall USNWR ranking, I don't see a significant difference between #10 and #25 or between #25 and #40.
    · Reply · Share
  • vc08vc08 3188 replies152 threads Senior Member
    Haha, I know, I was jking!
    · Reply · Share
    VC, when are you going to learn, we don't joke about OSU at Michigan! hehe!
    · Reply · Share
  • westsidewolf1989westsidewolf1989 1165 replies86 threads Senior Member
    OSU sucks
    · Reply · Share
  • Copy&PasteCopy&Paste 94 replies29 threads Junior Member
    OSU would suck even more if and when they get Terrelle Pryor :(
    · Reply · Share
  • toffee327toffee327 17 replies5 threads New Member
    "UI might have a bit better overall reputation worldwide. Lots of internationals flock there."

I am an American living in Korea, and UM definitely has a better reputation here. Most of my classmates are Koreans and a lot of them are applying to both schools. However, UM is a school they might actually go to... UI is mostly used as a safety. I don't know that that is necessarily reflective of two schools' actual quality, but it does say something about their reputations.
    · Reply · Share
  • Copy&PasteCopy&Paste 94 replies29 threads Junior Member
    sorry to bring this back up again but im really conflicted on what to do. im from illinois so u of i would be cheap for me while UM would cost double. my hopes are to get in to medical school which will cost a lot so im wondering if i should just stay instate and save 80k or is the UM undergrad a much better degree than u of i for going into the medical field? thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    There is no such thing as a "better" degree to get one into Medical school. If you were aiming for Law schools or for MBA programs, I would say it matters, but not medical school. A medical school will only care about your GPA, the classes you took, your essays, the interview and your MCATs. Which university you attended won't matter. Go to UIUC, maintain a 3.7+ GPA, ace the MCAT and you are set. The $80,000 you save will pay for two years of medical school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity