Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

For those of you already in a guaranteed program...

13»

Replies to: For those of you already in a guaranteed program...

• ivybound1010ivybound1010 Registered User Posts: 485 Member
    ap calc ab is good enough, depending on the program

and you guys should take things like AP govt, AP english, etc whatever interests you
    come on now - its HIGH SCHOOL

of course take AP Bio or AP Chem if you want (both are good for premed) but let your other AP's be whatever you damn please. It doesnt' really matter.

Id' really advise taking AP English - I'm not a fabolous writer - but thats reallllly important in the future. You should want to be a well rounded, well read doctor. Not a boring lame drone.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    AP English is very good to take in HS. Then if your program requires more English, it will be a breeze. AP American History is really helpful, because you will not need to take any more of History, which will free your time to take whatever in your area of interest.

AP Bio and AP Chem are benefitial for having more background in Bio, Chem, not so much for credits. In some pre-med programs, they strongly advise to take Bio, Chem starting over from beginning. The very first Bio in college is much harder than AP even for people with "5" and straight A's.
  • az1698az1698 Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    These are the ap classes i am taking or have taken:
    AP Euro History(10)
    AP US History(11)
    AP English Language(11)
    AP Spanish Language(11)
    AP Psychology(11)
    AP Comp. Gov't(12)
    AP Calc AB(12)
    AP English Literature(12)
    AP Physics(12)

Is that a good overall selection?

Also, I have the choice of taking forensic science from Syracuse University or AP Computer science. Which would you guys refer?
  • angad19angad19 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    az1698: I didnt see AP Chem or AP Bio anywhere on your list of APs.... you should definetly take both of those.

also, i'd recommend taking forensics at Syracuse University because it will show the colleges that you able to take univ. level courses even while you're in hs
    My school doesn't offer those two classes
    bump is my class selection good?
  • jerzgrlmomjerzgrlmom Registered User Posts: 1,245 Senior Member
    az16098, my son had taken all 3 AP Science classes (AP Bio 10th, AP Chem 11th, AP Physics C, 12th). Luckily, he automatically took the SATIIs at the same time as his AP exams. We didn't realize that many of these pgms/colleges wanted 3 SATIIs, often including Chemistry and Math. So, if you're not taking AP CHem, look into whether you will need the SATII Chem (I think Northwestern requires it, but I'm not sure since my son didn't apply there). Have your GC include in the GC Rec letter that AP Chem and AP Physics weren't offered at your school. Schools will not penalize you if the classes aren't offered.
    ^That makes me feel better. Yes, I do plan on taking sat II in chem and physics. And the Ap sciences, my school isn't having them until year after I graduate (2010). What do you think if my course selections though, are they good choices for someone thinking to go to one of these programs?
This discussion has been closed.