right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

What colleges are similar to Hamilton?

rdh1991rdh1991 552 replies50 threads Member
edited August 2008 in College Search & Selection
What colleges are similar to Hamilton?
edited August 2008
13 replies
Post edited by rdh1991 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What colleges are similar to Hamilton?

• gellinogellino 3012 replies5 threads Senior Member
    Colgate, Middlebury, Williams, Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, Union, Lafayette, Franklin & Marshall.
    · Reply · Share
  • carolyncarolyn 7242 replies193 threads Senior Member
    Also: Kenyon, Hobart &William Smith, Dickinson, Muhlenberg, Allegheny.
    · Reply · Share
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington 8888 replies479 threads Senior Member
    Similar to Hamilton in what way? Be a bit more precise in your question.
    · Reply · Share
  • pinkpineapplepinkpineapple 294 replies38 threads Member
    In size: most small LACs.
    In weather: Northeast with heavy snow.
    In sports: NESCAC DIII, again most small LACs are DIII.
    What other factors are you looking for? Politics, social scene/drinking, sports...
    · Reply · Share
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation 4230 replies54 threads Senior Member
    i think bates and connecticut college are the most similar in vibe- artsy and liberal yet sporty students
    · Reply · Share
  • gellinogellino 3012 replies5 threads Senior Member
    Maybe, I have just known the Hamilton grads that steered towards Wall Street positions and MBAs, but I never got the impression that Hamilton was as artsy as those other schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • rdh1991rdh1991 552 replies50 threads Member
    Similar in size, the type of people that attend, similar level of education. Thanks for all of the help
    · Reply · Share
  • BrainCrampBrainCramp - 117 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Worth considering but perhaps not as close a match as those already mentioned: Washington & Lee, Vassar, Bucknell, Skidmore & St. Lawrence.
    · Reply · Share
  • rdh1991rdh1991 552 replies50 threads Member
    thanks guys
    · Reply · Share
  • momrathmomrath 6004 replies39 threads Senior Member
    I never got the impression that Hamilton was as artsy as those other schools.

I think Hamilton is somewhat schizophrenic in that it has roots in the male-WASP tradition and roots in the arts. All male Wall Street focused Hamilton merged with all female artsy Kirkland some years back and even today the former Kirkland campus is referred to as "the dark side."

I think it offers a good balance across the total liberal arts disciplines -- arts, sciences, social studies.

Other colleges that seem similar in personality: Bowdoin, Kenyon, Amherst, Williams, Cornell, Dartmouth, Conn College, Colgate.
    · Reply · Share
  • beefsbeefs 2311 replies248 threads Senior Member
    Great, let's just name every single northeastern LAC.
    · Reply · Share
  • joelangfordjoelangford 40 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I don't know if this is part of the appeal of Hamilton to you, but it is to some people --- they have no distribution requirements. You don't have to take anything you don't want to, unless you have to take something in your major you don't want to take. You do have to pass some kind of exam showing that you know basic quantitative skills. You have to take some P.E., and have to pass some kind of swimming test. I think there are maybe 6 or 7 other schools that don't have distribution requirements. The list has been posted on this board before. The only other two I remember are Brown and Smith, which fall into somewhat different categories of colleges, for obvious reasons.

If that's not part of the thing you like about Hamilton, I agree with others that there are almost limitless fine LAC's in the Northeast that would be "similar" to Hamilton.
    · Reply · Share
  • orchestramomorchestramom 710 replies25 threads Member
    I second St. Lawrence
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.