Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's the biggest "inside joke" on your campus?

HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
edited March 2012 in College Life
Title says it all.

We have two:

1. The CSA's and tour guides all insist that the buildings are named after grapes...but we all know they're really named after wines. (Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot, Verdot, Beaujolais, etc.)

2. When the weather is warm, because our school uses authentic "fertilizer" for all our lawns and because we're right next to a creek, we get this wonderful odor..nicknamed "The Sonoma Aroma".
Post edited by HisGraceFillsMe on

Replies to: What's the biggest "inside joke" on your campus?

• fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    There's a facebook group that sums it up; The girls in Case work Wonders when they're Holden your Wilson. This kinky little saying demonstrates the 4 different halls of South Complex at Michigan State (Case, Wonders, Holden, Wilson)

There's a lot more that I just can't think of right now...
  • ferryboat10ferryboat10 Registered User Posts: 636 Member
    1. Everyone from out of state being from New Jersey or Long Island
    2. Everyone in our upper-class cohort already attending the 4-year school or transferring from one local community college. First couple of weeks, the question was asked - "UMD or MC?" Of the 180 of us, I've only found 6 that transferred in from another school last year and only 2 from another 4-year school.
  • Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    George P. Burdell
  • sleepymansleepyman Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    Everyone drives home on the weekends, we all call it "the Darkside" instead of "Parkside". And no one makes any black jokes without paying for it in some way.
  • BusinessGuyBusinessGuy Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    OP: Your tour guides are correct, all of those names are for the grapes. Wines are named after the grapes used to make them. So, you can have a wine that says (45% Merlot, 55% Cabernet Sauvignon).
  • germoongermoon Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    I have a friend who goes to Tulane, and told me about granny cart lady. There's a facebook group, but basically she's this really old lady who wanders around with one of those carts that grannies sometimes have. Her son apparently is a professor in the architecture department, but basically what she does is she'll walk into a class and mumble to herself, or to others. Apparently she's got a racist streak too, and instead of using the sidewalks, she just walks down the middle of the street. Kind of sad? Yep. Should people leave her alone? Probably.

But I'll admit that it's just too funny!
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,376 Senior Member
    The duckpond run. That's about as much as I am allowed to say :)
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    BusinessGuy: It's more a joke than anything. We know the school means them as grapes, but we all tease the CSAs and tourguides about "How can we be expected to live substance-free if even the BUILDINGS are named after wine?"

To which they reply, "THEY'RE GRAPES!!!!"
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,260 Forum Champion
    ^^^^^

oohhhhhhhh. that makes sense. When I read the OP, I immediately thought was BusinessGuy was thinking too.
  • sleepymansleepyman Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    I have a friend who goes to Tulane, and told me about granny cart lady.
    Oh yeah we apparently have a wandering hobo who lives here, I haven't seen him I just heard from the facebook group.
  • MNKeeperMNKeeper Registered User Posts: 325 Member

(10 characters)
  • MushaboomBlueMushaboomBlue Registered User Posts: 1,715 Senior Member
    I don't know if this is really an inside joke, but at my school we have this statue called "Willy the Silent". The original story behind the statue is that he silently watches over Voorhees Mall here at Rutgers.

But the students changed that story completely and states that when ever a virgin girl walks by, he makes a whistling noise. But when a non-virgin walks by -- he's silent. Considering this is Rutgers (or Slutgers) I'm sure he doesn't do a lot of whistling.
  • catsushicatsushi Registered User Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    We have a bus that goes to MIT/Harvard, and it goes by several names..."**** truck", "cuddle shuttle", and "stab cab". Teehee.
  • White_RabbitWhite_Rabbit Registered User Posts: 947 Member
    Tourist come from all over the world to touch John Harvard's foot. The students just pee on it when they're drunk.
  • mattd1688mattd1688 Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    What girls say: The odds are good but the goods are odd.
    What guys say: Girls are like parking spaces, all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.
This discussion has been closed.