right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will a 3/3/4/4/5 Keep me out of HYPSColumbia??

powerbombpowerbomb 3045 replies319 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,364 Senior Member
edited July 2009 in College Admissions
Okay, so I think I will end up with a 3,3,4,4,5 (if lucky, 3,4,4,5,5) on my AP exams - will these scores keep me out of said schools? I have heard that AP scores are used "only" for placement purposes, but I am disinclined to believe that...Given that all my other factors are great, 4.0+, 2250+,750+ on subject tests, etc...

Thanks.
edited July 2009
25 replies
Post edited by powerbomb on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will a 3/3/4/4/5 Keep me out of HYPSColumbia??

• powerbombpowerbomb 3045 replies319 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,364 Senior Member
    bummmmppppp
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26587 replies174 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,761 Senior Member
    Yes, it's good to disbelieve what you have "heard". The problem with a 3 on an AP score is that it devalues your course grade, i.e., that 'A' now looks inflated against another applicant who might have a 'B' on his/her transcript but yet earned a 5 on the AP test. However, strong subject test scores show academic strength in those discilpines.

In short, any adcom will give you the stock, politically-correct answer: we look at the WHOLE application, yada, yada, yada. The only thing you can do is apply. If Columbia is your #1, go ED. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • powerbombpowerbomb 3045 replies319 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,364 Senior Member
    eh, I wouldn't consider Columbia to be my first choice, but thanks anyways.

I guess another way to ask this is - has anybody seen an applicant with similar AP scores as mine get accepted to these schools?
    · Reply · Share
  • uskoolfishuskoolfish 2903 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,953 Senior Member
    Just a heads up---D never sent a score report for any of her APs---and not one of the colleges she applied to ever asked. She had gotten a 2 in Physics and a 3 in US History junior year, so she would rather have not promoted that. No one asked. She got accepted into Barnard, Brandeis, NYU, GW, American, Muhlenberg and Binghamton. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • BigWeightBigWeight 892 replies86 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 978 Member
    i got a 3,4,4,4,4 on my tests, and it didnt keep me away from Dartmouth, UChicago, or Duke.
    · Reply · Share
  • HiPeopleHiPeople 654 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 778 Member
    I doubt that will be a deciding factor in keeping you out of HYPS and Columbia.
    · Reply · Share
  • silence_kitsilence_kit 1822 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    APs are not that important in the college admissions process. Good colleges know that they are easier than college courses anyway . . .
    · Reply · Share
  • hsseniorlookinghsseniorlooking 645 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 653 Member
    The brutal competition is your worst enemy, not one statistic.
    · Reply · Share
    ^ explain...?
    · Reply · Share
  • NWdivisionCHAMPSNWdivisionCHAMPS 909 replies115 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,024 Senior Member
    ^ ^ There will be people applying that have the exact same scores + gpa as you, but may have beaten you on the AP tests, which would then give them the upper hand. Basically, you want to be at the top for most everything since you will be competing with people who are the best at everything..
    · Reply · Share
  • JuanmarcoJuanmarco 97 replies40 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    I have a friend who got into Princeton with scores similar to those, so you certainly aren't out of the running. Just make sure your essays are really good.
    · Reply · Share
  • quantaquanta 209 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I got all HYPSM with worse (couple 1s). Don't worry...
    However if "all my other factors" are simply scores as you've listed, then you have a problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • bugaboobugaboo 133 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Your AP scores definitely won't keep you out.
    · Reply · Share
    However if "all my other factors" are simply scores as you've listed, then you have a problem

well, I did say...
    etc...

I wasn't going to make this into a chances thread...
    · Reply · Share
    I got all HYPSM with worse (couple 1s). Don't worry...

Whoa nice! Did you report all of them? I'm just curious because so many people are dishonest and want to try and trick the adcoms, but you must have some other amazing activities.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12587 replies161 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 12,748 Super Moderator
    My question is, why did you even ask this question if you were already disinclined to believe the most common answer that is passed around on this board (and the one that is generally cited as the true one)?

AP is short for "Advanced Placement". The entire point of the test -- the reason it, and the courses, were designed -- was to give students the chance to earn college credit in regular high school courses taught by their high school teachers. It was not designed for admissions purposes and is generally not used by admissions committees for admissions purposes.

You don't even have to report your AP scores on the application. That's not being dishonest, and it's not "tricking" the adcoms. And scoring a 3 on the test and an A in the class doesn't necessarily mean you look inflated. Think about the way college courses are graded: it is entirely possible to get a C on the final exam and still pull a B or an A in the class. Likewise, it's also possible to get an A on the final and still get a C in the class. So it is with AP scores -- it's even MORE possible for a student to get an A in the class (which is an entire semester or year's worth of work) and still get a 3 on the test (which is a high-pressure event that only takes 3 hours tops). It doesn't make your A look any less deserved.

In addition to that, admissions committees look at your entire package. One small thing does not "keep you out" of anything. If you have a 4.0, near-perfect SAT scores, great SAT II scores, and the rest of your package is tight...do you think a school will decline you based on one 3 (especially when by the AP rubric a 3 means "qualified" as in "qualified to do higher-level college material in this area"?
    · Reply · Share
    Juillet, you came off a bit strong, but thanks for that clear-cut answer. Just what I needed - not many people provide such answers, which was why I asked the question in the first place.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26587 replies174 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,761 Senior Member
    May I suggest you consider what a college counselor (and former Dartmouth admissions officer) has to say on this topic for unhooked applicants:
    since both AP and IB tests are considered the most difficult and collegelike tests around, colleges sometimes weigh these even more heavily than SAT Is and SAT IIs....

Source: Acing the College Application
    · Reply · Share
    ^Really? Actually that is the first time I heard that type of response. Everyone has told me that SAT, SAT II are more important than AP and IB because AP and IB has a lot to do with the teacher that you have in school/resources your school can provide you for this test. For example, there are many schools in which the teacher doesn't even cover everything on the test and the student is forced to learn it by themselves...so it is unfair to compare this student to someone that goes to a top school.
    · Reply · Share
    I don't know!! this is so frustrating!

Bluebayou - you wouldn't consider my scores to be "horrible" so as to automatically keep me out of those schools, would you?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity