Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Fall Move In - What to/not to pack

2»

Replies to: Fall Move In - What to/not to pack

• PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    It pretty much is completely chaotic at 9am. People start lining up before then to move in. It tends to slow way down around noon, although it also tends to heat up significantly around then.

There's parking around Landis (there's a nearby-ish parking garage, but it might get full really quick), although it might be asked of you to sorta pull up, park, remove your stuff from the vehicle & set it on the sidewalk, and then to park in a parking spot somewhere else. With that in mind, I'd label your stuff with your name if you can (even if it's just on a piece of masking tape or something).

My advice though would be to park somewhere, and walk to check-in with as little as possible, just in case you do find that the room needs some cleaning before you move-in. The rooms do tend to be clean when you move in, but the last thing you want to do is to pile all your stuff on the sidewalk, only to find out that when you move in that the room needs a scrub down. Then if it's clean, you can go pull up and unload, without having to worry about leaving your stuff unattended.

I don't recall whether there were people helping unload stuff or not when I moved in Freshman year. I seem to recall a couple people sort of watching your stuff just so nothing was left unattended, but I couldn't say either way, sorry.
  • SunshinestatemomSunshinestatemom Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Thanks Pasbal! I guess we will do the park, check-in, scope it out. :)
  • wilde1969wilde1969 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I move in the 16th to Rogers Hall. Anything I should watch out for??

And by chaos at 9:00 a.m., do you mean when the halls open on the 22nd that it can get hectic?
  • PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    Since you're moving in almost a week before most everyone else, you'll be good. There's plenty of parking near Rogers, so you won't have to do any unloading and then parking; you can park up close to the building and get your stuff out as you please.

Yeah, at 9am on the 22nd (or whatever the first general day of move-in is each year), it's chaos. There are people lined up well before it opens. If you're moving in that first day into any of the freshman dorms, it's hectic beyond belief.
  • wtztuwtztu Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    What we found to be great for moving in are the recycle Publix bags. They pack a lot of things and the handles make it easy to carry a number of bags at a time. Our Publix even has ones that say FSU.
  • MrFritz99MrFritz99 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Now as for the things we are going to need to buy once down there...

During orientation a couple people mentioned that Walmart and Target give big discounts to incoming students? Didn't know if that was true or how it worked? Perhaps it's some sort of "Show your student ID and save"?
  • TallalassieTallalassie - Posts: 538 Member
    I never got any big discount at Target or Wal-Mart with a student i.d. If they do offer discounts, I'll take 'em. Target and Wal-Mart do have a lot of "college items" on sale now, maybe that's what they were talking about at orientation. I'd be interested too in knowing if the two stores offer special discounts to FSU students.
  • papertiger87papertiger87 Registered User Posts: 681 Member
    Oh there will be big discounts at target for new students. Just wait and see. :)

Sent from my iPhone using CC
2»
This discussion has been closed.