right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

US undergrads -> impossible to go to Canada?

rocenrocen 112 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Foreign Medical Education
Is it true that once you had an undergraduate degree in the US it is virtually impossible to go back to Canada for medical (or graduate) school?

My dad's friend told him that a friend of his had a daughter who had a 4.0 gpa at John Hapkins University (majored in biology) undergraduate and was rejected by both McGill and Toronto's medical schools. (She's a Canadian, by the way.) This seems impossible I know but this is what my dad was told. The girl eventually ended up in UPenn med (which is also great,) but I just want to know if such thing is true?
edited April 2007
3 replies
Post edited by rocen on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: US undergrads -> impossible to go to Canada?

• bluedevilmikebluedevilmike 11870 replies94 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    1.) I can't answer your question, but...

2.) If the answer to your question is "No, it's possible," then the question becomes, "So what about this girl?"

The answers are multiplefold, but the most likely one is overqualification. McGill might well have looked at this girl and felt that she was going to:
    (a) Get into a school like Penn
    (b) Go to that school

And so McGill didn't want to waste their time and yield rate on this girl.
    · Reply · Share
  • rocenrocen 112 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    well...she wanted badly to go back to Canada is what I heard
    · Reply · Share
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike 11870 replies94 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Yeah, but they might not have known that.

This is one of the reasons it's v. important to express interest in medical schools while you are applying.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity