Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Presidential Scholarship Amounts

2»

Replies to: Presidential Scholarship Amounts

• jru2011jru2011 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I think it should also be noted that the presidential scholarships are for those without financial need, board of trustees combines merit and demonstrated need. that may be why people with worse (for lack of a better word) stats get a higher scholarship than somebody with stellar stats.

if the amount of aid offered is really an issue, so much so that it completely rules GW out, there's no harm in calling into the financial aid office and seeing what other options there are or if there is anything more they can offer you. one of my close friends sisters did that with another school and they were able to work something out so that she could afford it.
  • Skibabe2011Skibabe2011 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    ^ My EFC is like 20k and I got a 15k Presidential Scholarship, does that mean that they won't give me any need-based aid?
  • NewJerseyMomNewJerseyMom Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    Maybe loans?
  • DeskPotatoDeskPotato Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Did anyone get a Presidential Scholarship who did not apply for financial aid?

I noticed in the Common Data Set that a significant fraction (I'm recalling about 1/4) of the students who applied for financial aid were determined to have "no need." Which would make these students eligible for "no need" scholarships, which certainly helps if you thought you'd be getting need-based aid.

But I'm wondering if only people in this category--applied for need-based aid and didn't get it--wind up with the "no-need" merit scholarships, or if some students who didn't apply for aid (because they knew they wouldn't qualify) are awarded them as well.
  • RZHUUURZHUUU Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    hmmm...
    i got GW "Board of Trustees Scholarship in the amount of $30,000. This annually renewable tuition scholarship, worth up to $120,000 over four years, is based on your impressive academic credentials and demonstrated financial need."
    1950 SAT 3.93W
  • dumbparentdumbparent Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Son got $15K one; 34 ACT, 4.5 weighted GPA, 3.9 unweighted. We did not qualify for any need based aid at any school at which he was accepted (Northwestern, Wash U, W&M...)

Both GW and Miami of Ohio offered merit aid. Both are of a lesser academic stature than the others. To me, it seems to suggest the Presidential Scholarships are out there to sway kids away from the top tier, who offer little or no merit aid.
  • GWAlum07GWAlum07 Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    Your excellent analytical abilities do not befit your name, dumbparent.
  • bballer92bballer92 Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    @DeskPotato

I got a 15k presidential scholarship w/o applying for fin aid
  • HFordsHFords Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    irimmag, congratulations--what types of EC's do you have?
  • CJ MadisonCJ Madison Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    My "S" got 25K/yr 2010. I believe the amount of the Presidential Scholarship will vary year-to-year and depends on the total amount of money available, the strength of the incoming class, and the "Total" FA package to be awarded (Yes- I believe the amount also depends on the need-based aid too).

I've heard of a minimum awards of 10Kyr to a max of 30K/yr. I believe if you don't need FA (i.e. High EFC) and you apply ED - why would GW give you a scholarship? they've already got you!

On the other hand - if you're RD and good stats they're more likely to entice you with a Pres. Scholarship and even grant money.

Note- GW had little summer melt this year - attributed to the amount of "Free money" awarded to incoming students??

The awarding of these schoalrships is highly variable and unless you work in admissions I doubt you're really going to find out why the variability.

My 2 cents worth.

CJ
2»
This discussion has been closed.