Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

chance for mcdonough

anotherasian1234anotherasian1234 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
edited December 2008 in Georgetown University
im not sure how selective the business school is....so i would like to know if i can be a competitive applicant! thank you!

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2180 (650 CR, 800 M, 730W (8 on essay)). its my best single scoring...superscoring is the same score =[
ACT: 33; 35E, 35M, 36R, 26 Science, 8 writing (wont be reporting...college apps cost too much anyways x[
SAT II: 800- Math 2c, 790 korean, 740 us history, 680 physics; never got around to retaking any of these...:)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): around 3.75UW, around 4.2W
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A. around 1000 students in the class
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 calc bc, 5 calc AB subscore, 4 us history, 4 english lang, 3 phys B, 3 phys C mechanics, 2 phys C E/M<<hehe i didnt know anything on that test...literally just picked MC answers and left FR blank. oops? also, as you can tell by my last 3 scores, i am not very strong at physics x[
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Freshman Year Course Load: 1 Honors (there was only a maximum of 2 honors classes offered that year)
Soph: 1 AP, 3 Honors
Junior: 4 APs, and the 3rd year of a foreign language
Senior Year Course Load: 4 AP's and 1 Honors. but i stopped learning the foreign language
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): national merit semifinalist
Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): marching band, a lot of music related stuff, 1 club for foreign language (officer), math team, national honor society, california scholarship federation
Job/Work Experience: tutoring for 3 yrs and a teacher's assistant abroad over summer break
Volunteer/Community service: around 250 hours total. main: volunteered at library for 3 yrs now (and still going on!..120+ hours). 60 hours from a summer camp for kids in financial difficulty
Summer Activities: summer work before 12th grade
Essays: probably going to be generic. maybe if im lucky, the admissions officer'll like it. gonna keep working hard on it
Teacher Recommendation: no idea; waived right to see it. but they're both teachers i've known for multiple years
Counselor Rec: no clue; waived right
Additional Rec: N/A
Interview: hmm. not bad. but i could have done better. i'd say my knowledge of the school was....okay. nothing impressive. the conversation was fun.
Other
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public (huge public)
Ethnicity: asian
Income Bracket: lower middle class...but with a sibling in college. will need lots of FA
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): NONE
Reflection
Strengths: im a decent language learner. so far, i am bilingual (korean, english), but i have taken 3 years of japanese at school. also have lived in 3 countries before....makes it a little easier to explain why i like international business.
Weaknesses: downward grade trend. asian
Post edited by anotherasian1234 on

Replies to: chance for mcdonough

• rabar789rabar789 Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Academically, I think you are right in the competitive mix. As long as you made yourself "stand out" from the rest in your app, you have a good chance I think
  • anotherasian1234anotherasian1234 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    thanks!

any other opinions?
  • simpson98simpson98 Registered User Posts: 749 Member
    Haha, I very much sympathize with the physics thing. It's my worst class, so my teacher was genuinely shocked to hear I got into Gtown.

Like rabar said, your grades or test scores won't be a problem, and as long as you're in the top 10%, they won't hold you back in the slightest. What might hold you back come admissions time would be a lack of leadership, something on which Gtown puts a lot of emphasis. I recommend putting a LOT of effort into your essays, they really can make a difference. Highlight what leadership you do have, make at least 2-3 drafts, and make sure at least 1-2 teachers look it over. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.