Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Academic dismissal

xydus13xydus13 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello,
I have been dismissed from the graduate school due to low cumulative GPA of 2.33. I obtain 1.45 GPA in the first semester and 3.22 for probation semester. Please give me some suggestions for the appeal letter.

Dear Committee,
I am writing to appeal my academic dismissal from xxx graduate program. I am aware that I failed to make the satisfactory progress, but I would like to explain my circumstances. I am writing with the hope that you will reinstate me for next semester.

Being an international student, I had a rough start at xxx with the GPA of 1.45. For my second semester, I was working under the extreme stress to perform best and obtain good academicstanding. I achieved a 3.22 GPA by working hard, doing all the readings, and completing my assignments. However, for the one course, xxxx in which I failed to maintain the minimum 3 GPA, I did well in homework, quizzes and project but I developed test performance anxiety and performed poorly on the test which affected my overall final grade. I have attached the grades for your reference.

If I reinstate, I will focus much better on stress management and anxiety. I have started working with the Counseling Services to incorporate various stress management techniques. I am also working on test anxiety with the help of xxxxx center to make sure it won’t happen in the future. I have attached the letter of my counselor outlining our plans should I be readmitted. I am following the advice of my physician and a dietician to work efficiently. I will use time management tools like the academic planner and online scheduling tools to make the most of my time.

I have realized my mistakes and started working on them. I now have the clear academic goals and understand that study should be my priority. I am confident that with the support and resources that I now have, I can be successful in the graduate program if given a second chance. I hope you will give me an opportunity to prove myself.

Thank you again for taking time to consider this appeal.