Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Grad school help, please. I did really bad in my concurrent classes in high school.

2»

Replies to: Grad school help, please. I did really bad in my concurrent classes in high school.

• juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,735 Super Moderator
    I generally agree with boneh3ad, which is why I suggested *re-evaluating* your plans rather than deciding that physics is the wrong major for you. It sounds like you have already identified your issue - lack of motivation, potentially due to mental health problems. It's possible that you could be really good at math and physics if you could get these issues solved.

Can you see a mental health counselor? You can start with your school; likely your school or district has a school psychologist that you can talk to.

Many (most?) jobs don't actually care about your transcripts and won't request them.
  • UGHBOYUGHBOY Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Hi, hi thanks for reply again. I ended up getting a B in the calculus II class after all! Just got my grade today, and I know it's a measly B, but I'm still really happy about it.

I've seen a psychologist. It didn't seem right for me. It was too time consuming, expensive, complicated, and I've decided to simply try to pick myself up by myself. I'll exercise and eat healthy and try to be productive in order to hopefully stimulate a better mental health.

The thing is, I emailed UCSB, and they said that "graduate schools and jobs will very unlikely look at my grades prior to matriculation at UCSB." Also, my high school counselor said that jobs barely care about the transcript, let alone high school transcript, and that graduate school really just care about undergraduate GPA and test scores. So I'm assuming that's the case for my future.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,561 Forum Champion
    Your college transcript will show any credits that were transferred into the program. That includes dual enrollment credits. So, while a graduate program will not give even half a rat's behind about your high school grades, they may care about those that were transferred in to count as part of your baccalaureate. That will probably be not only program specific, but specific to individual professors.

For example, when I look at the records of students I am considering hiring into my lab, I do look at what their scores were in the math sequence specifically. If they had dual enrollment credits, those get included. I can't really say exactly how heavily I weight that, but it does get factored into my appraisal of a prospective mentee.

As for your high school counselor, I don't know where he or she gets off making blanket statements like that. Getting into a professional graduate degree program like an MBA or MD will be almost entirely based on GPA and test scores. Getting into a more traditional graduate program like a PhD is going to be a lot more holistic and test scores are usually a pretty small factor.
    Thank you for taking time to reply and providing your input! I will keep that in mind.
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,680 Forum Champion
    Let me give you the perspective of a physics professor. It is good that you got a B in your Calculus 2 class but you should consider the possibility of taking both Calculus 1 and 2 again at UCSB. They are foundational courses for physics and having a strong base will help you in your later classes. You have taken them twice already and maybe you won't want to give them a third go-round but at least consider it and discuss it with your academic advisor.
    What I actually plan on doing was spending this summer hammering my math, starting with precalc. I plan to review and do practice problems up to calc 2. If I do that, should I still retake it? UCSB said I will get the credit for those classes but the GPA won't transfer, so I wanted to take those credits and jump ahead. I'm fully aware the immense importance math has for physics.