right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Dewan is a senior at UT San Antonio majoring in Microbiology/Immunology. She'll be taking over our Instagram account today to share "A day in her life." Head over to our page for an exclusive view of a student's life during COVID-19!
Gap year on your mind? Learn how you can travel the globe and get college credit! REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

M.S. in BioEng at UC Irvine vs. MecEng at Boston University?

Lynnie456Lynnie456 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hi. My son is a UCLA senior (Biology major) who got accepted several months ago into Boston University's LEAP masters in mechanical engineering program for non-engineering undergrads and paid a $500 deposit. (My sons is taking UCLA summer school and will actually graduate UCLA this summer.) He was accepted into BU's "Product Design and Manufacturing" specialty. The first year, he is scheduled to take BU engineering undergrad classes and the second year, he would complete a one-year masters in MecEng program. BU gave him a scholarship of $14,000 off tuition, which means each year at BU would cost $40,000 in tuition.

BUT, my son just got accepted (after being previously rejected!) into the Biomed Engineering masters program at UC Irvine! Wow! We are California residents, so the tuition difference is remarkable. One year of tuition at UCI will cost less than $12,000.

He seems stunned and torn. (My son has a good friend who went to BU as an undergrad who has been talking up how fun Boston is. Ironically, whether he goes to BU or UCI, he will live at home and take classes remotely due to the pandemic.)

To me, I am selfishly hoping my son will decide to attend UC Irvine because of the pocketbook differential, but we would support him going to either place. The UCI masters in engineering program is two years long and requires original research with a thesis the second year, so it seems like more of a robust and academic degree to me. Is that true?

What are some pros and cons about each program? Am seeking any commentary or tidbits of information that y'all might be able to contribute about BU's masters versus ICI's program.

Here's a final consideration, my son says, if he does really well academically in his master's program, he might want to go to medical school after that. Which master's program would give him the best odds of coming out with a high graduate GPA? (My son was the salutatorian in high school, with a 4.44 high school GPA, but he had too much fun at UCLA as an undergrad and has a 3.2 undergrad GPA. To get into medical school, he would need to repair his academic record with a sparkling graduate GPA.)
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: M.S. in BioEng at UC Irvine vs. MecEng at Boston University?

• PublisherPublisher 11892 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Since he will be taking classes remotely, the choice seems obvious.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 28205 replies212 threads Senior Member
    Boston IS an awesome college town, but UCI is a no-brainer since classes are remote.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lynnie456Lynnie456 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Oops! UC Irvine's master's in Engineering program actually will cost $43,5000, even for in-state students. They're applied a hefty program fee to their regular graduate tuition (to create profit for the university).
    · Reply · Share