Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Mudd Core Curriculum

AimtrueAimtrue Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
Hi. So I saw an article about Mudd changing the core curriculum. From what I read, it looks like it is just changing the math curriculum right now. Does anyone know what other potential changes might happen?

Replies to: Mudd Core Curriculum

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,885 Senior Member
    Mudd has been in a lengthy evaluation process of the core for the past year and a half. I don’t think they have released much detail yet. The core is VERY integral to Mudd’s identity. It is not going away. I doubt it is getting much easier. I doubt it will have less breadth. The core has been overhauled in the past, but it has been quite a while since the last one. They are proceeding carefully - no one wants to break one of the things that makes Mudd special and gives Mudders the amazing breadth and depth of STEM knowledge they get with a Mudd degree.
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    Here are some links.

https://www.hmc.edu/core-revision/
    https://www.hmc.edu/core-revision/2019/02/22/community-update-on-the-core-review-february-2019/
    https://tsl.news/mudd-to-revise-core-math-curriculum-two-years-after-campus-protests-first-major-change-from-review-designed-to-decrease-workload/
    The incoming class of 2023 will be the first to experience the new pilot Core Math curriculum, according to the February update on the Core review process. ... The current Core Math consists of six half-semester courses: “Calculus,” “Probability and Statistics,” “Introduction to Linear Algebra,” “Introduction to Differential Equations,” “Multivariable Calculus” and “Differential Equations and Linear Algebra II.”

The new Core Math removes “Probability and Statistics” and combines the remaining five half-semesters into three full-semester courses: “Calculus,” “Linear Algebra” and “Differential Equations.”
    That is a good change. Those half semester courses were a little crazy making. Essentially adding half a semester of time to the remaining components will be a bit of a stress reducer.
  • AimtrueAimtrue Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @damon30 Thanks. I saw the article you quote. I will check out the other ones. Hoping this is all a good move for the students.
  • nypapanypapa Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Interesting, it looks like the main difference is the removal of 'probability and statistics', which I suppose could be taken at a later point after completion of the core requirements. For this they also offer a more advanced level course on Bayesian statistics, which should be an important class to take for anyone interested in data science:

https://www.hmc.edu/mathematics/program/mathematics-course-descriptions/
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    ^ Also, probability and statistics are a prerequisite for a class in deep learning. But it's just as well they are ditching the half semester treatment, and making it a full semester class instead.
    What they were doing was pretty much double timing normal college courses. Squeezing a normal semester of work in a half semester. Now they are mostly putting 2 of those half semesters into one semester, with a bit of relief without the probability and statistics. I’m sure students will still be able to take it as an elective, it just won’t be required in core.