Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP U.S. History

cbashicbashi Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hi! I am debating whether or not I should take AP U.S. History in my upcoming sophmore year. I am concerned with the fact that I am already taking the following classes: Honors Chem, Honors Pre-Calc, Honors English, French 3, and Chamber Singers (advanced choir). In addition, I have many activities that I will be participating in which includes the following: treasurer of choir council, weekly singing lessons, the musical, the fall straight play, bards (after school advanced mens choir), french club, student council (maybe). Furthermore, I spend a lot of time studying, to the point that I am up until midnight or even 1am. I am afraid that I won't get much sleep to the point that I become majorly stressed. I did take honors english as a freshman and achieved an A all year; however, i believe it was because of the amount of time I put into the class. I read at a slow pace to be able to comprehend what I am reading. Plus, I don't really have much interest in history, in fact, I find it VERY boring. I am also paranoid with the fact that my GPA will decrease (currently have a cumulative of 3.92 as an upcoming sophmore); However, I plan to take many AP classes as an upperclassman and would like to get the experience as an underclassman. I am seeking for advice on the decision I should make. Thanks!

Replies to: AP U.S. History

• AsianDoctorAsianDoctor Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    don't take it... take AP's that interest you... quality over quantity. That's how i feel at least.
  • fbplayerfbplayer Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I took AP History this past year and it wasn't the difficulty of the course work that made it tough but the overwhelming amount of homework (1-2 hours a night). I personally think you should take as many AP classes as you can, without over stressing yourself. Also with it being a weighted grade it shouldn't hurt your GPA at all.
  • ErenYeagerErenYeager Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    I think you'll be fine. i had a similar situation and got As all year with grade deflation for grades 92-100%
  • cbashicbashi Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    So you do think I'll be able to handle it? Even with the fact that I have all of the other work going on? And my lack of interest? Plus, my slow reading pace?
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    Do you know anything about the teacher? Some APUSH teachers are great, and some are, well, not. If it's not a great teacher, stick to APs that you will find interesting.
  • cbashicbashi Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    The syllabus of the class says that most of the class is student-driven and that we will have to do most of the work ourselves.
  • QuadMasterQuadMaster Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    If you aren't interested in history, avoid it. Try to take another AP class, like APCS or APHuG. No point in taking a class that doesn't interest you, you'd only be wasting your time.
  • imaginethisimaginethis Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I thought the class was harder than the AP exam. I guess it varies, but I didn't have much homework, just the occasional essay/research paper. I thought the tests were more difficult and a bit time-consuming to study for, since a lot of times you just have to read the information until you memorize it. If you're not interested in the subject, I don't know if you'll find the motivation to study enough to get an A in the class, and if you don't learn/memorize at least some of content throughout the year, it'll be hard to cram a few weeks before the exam.
  • GameRoomGameRoom Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    For me, the class was incredibly rigorous, but the test was easy. I suppose I was just very prepared.
  • MagicialMagicial Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    I say take it, challenge yourself! I took it myself as a freshman taking the hardest classes I could and received an A. I also had a test every week that I had to prepare for. I managed to complete the class successfully and do well on the exam.
This discussion has been closed.