right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I take World History AP in sophomore year?

iwanttogotouhiwanttogotouh 0 replies1 threads New Member
I have taken World History Honors during freshman year because we were not offered Human Geography AP or World Geography. The classes I'm offered during my sophomore year are AP U.S History, U.S History, and AP European History. I believe that APUSH and APEURO are very difficult classes for a first time AP student so I'm thinking of not taking it and take AP World because I took World History Honors during my freshman year. Is it a good idea.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take World History AP in sophomore year?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 2488 replies42 threads Senior Member
    AP World then APUSH is the standard Soph/Jr. advanced sequence at our school. That leaves Euro, Gov, and a few other options senior year.

You list the other 3 as “offered” - presumably WH is also. Is there a standard/prescribed sequence at your school?
    · Reply · Share
  • MarylandJOEMarylandJOE 437 replies9 threads Member
    Yes, that's what I would recommend. My son took AP world (10), AP US (11) and AP Euro (13).
    · Reply · Share
  • cherry_creme174cherry_creme174 12 replies13 threads Junior Member
    I don't think it'll look that good on applications if you took Honors World last year and AP World this year since they're probably very similar classes. You'd be way better off taking AP Euro imo since there's a huge overlap between World and Euro, and you can use your Honors World foundations in AP Euro without making your transcript seem redundant.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2488 replies42 threads Senior Member
    I don't think it'll look that good on applications if you took Honors World last year and AP World this year since they're probably very similar classes.

OP, are these intended to be sequential courses at your school, or are they intended to be parallel options? A sequence of an Honors course and then an AP course isn’t out of the ordinary. But neither is the option of regular/Honors/AP as three parallel choices.
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 1011 replies7 threads Senior Member
    edited July 9
    unless you need two years of World it will look a bit strange - usually it is take one world history - AP, Honors or CP. In schools near me the requirement is US history 1 freshman year (cp/h), sophomore year is US History II cp/h or APUSH, 11th grade is world history and 12th grade is a random social studies or two 1/2 year classes etc which can be AP
    edited July 9
    · Reply · Share