Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Two questions...

Oceanstate43Oceanstate43 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in High School Student Topics
First, how hard is it exactly to get into med school? what are some of the acceptance numbers?

Second, is it hard to find a job as a doctor if you don't go to a top med school?

I'm just trying to weigh my options and decide what I want to do
Post edited by Oceanstate43 on

Replies to: Two questions...

• AquaNerdAquaNerd Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    A decent MD granting school will have an acceptance rate somewhere between 4 and 8 percent. A comparable DO school would be a little higher, 10 to 15 percent. Sources I've read say about 40% of premed students get into a medical school nationally. That means that 60% get turned down across the board the first year they apply. If you want to browse medical school rankings, I suggest usnews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Complete Guide to Medical Schools
    I'm still a high school student, so I don't have any firsthand experience with the process, but to my knowledge there are standardized tests that even the playing field for applying to a residency position. I really don't think there are many significant differences between a "good" and a "bad" medical school, they all turn out doctors.

Someone who has gone through the process will be able to answer your question a lot more thoroughly, but I hope the research I've done will help get you on the right track.
  • hpa10hpa10 Registered User Posts: 1,906 Senior Member
    It's very difficult to get into medical school, but I only have knowledge of my uncle going through the application process so maybe norcalguy, bdm, or brm could go into detail on this. And I really don't think that any doctor would have trouble finding a job.
This discussion has been closed.