Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which major helps with MCATs most?

j814wongj814wong Registered User Posts: 427 Member
edited September 2012 in Johns Hopkins University
I'm considering going to John Hopkins University if I decide to go on the road to become a doctor. Which of these majors, which are all fairly attractive to me, will provide best preparation for the MCATs with pre-med courses also being taken all other factors aside?

Biomedical engineering (Because this is an engineering major, does it "ruin" one's GPA or put a dent in it?)

Neuroscience

Cognitive Science

Chemistry

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Biology
Post edited by j814wong on

Replies to: Which major helps with MCATs most?

• AdamJazAdamJaz Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    Study what you want to study. Talk Orgo, Chem, etc. etc. and you'll do fine on the MCAT.
  • GetExcitedGetExcited Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    I am currently a high school senior, but two of my close friends have relatives who just took the MCAT this year andI asked them a similar question :"Is biology a good major for preparing for the MCAT?" Both of them said it really does help because it covers at least a little bit of everything: anatomy, chemistry, physics, etc. I think that one of those friends was a major in computer science and the other was a major in French and one got a 34 and one got a 35 on their MCATs. SOOOO, don't choose a major just because you think it will help you with your MCATs, do what you ant to do!
  • jrobackjroback Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    If you apply to med school, its important to try to distinguish yourself from the other applicants.

I majored in biophysics at Hopkins, which helped distinguish my med school apps since not every college offers that major (as a med school faculty member now, I can tell you that it seems like just about every applicant majors in biology or psychology). I can also tell you I started in biomed engineering at Hopkins, but switched during my first semester because it was really that hard and it has the potential to kill your GPA.

Regarding the MCATs, your college field of study forms an important base. However, you really have to take a specific MCAT review course to prepare you for the specific material on the test.
This discussion has been closed.