Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Good Colleges for Kids on Autism Spectrum and challenged with Exec Function

RobynphdRobynphd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I've seen a few lists out there, and a few posts on this board, but wondering if anyone has had some recent success with college programs that have great autism support? My son is really smart (yeah...I know...we all think that) but truly struggles with executive function and is often resistant to our advice (we are both college profs) how to plan and manage his time better. We constantly tell him that we won't be there to bail him out once he goes to college that he has to work through setting priorities and getting up on time for school in the morning. He is considering RIT and Drexel as he wants computer engineering and cyber security. Marshall has a new program but I know has a good ASD support program, and WKU doesn't really have a good cyber program despite its ASD support program.

Does anyone know if any of the other big programs...MIT, RPI, etc have ASD support like helping kids regularly to plan their work for the week, helping them get up in the morning, etc.? He'd prefer a mid-range to small school size as his HS is very small.

I have a year and a half left to help him get to a better place but was hoping people could share what they know about college programs with ASD support.

Thanks...Robyn

Replies to: Good Colleges for Kids on Autism Spectrum and challenged with Exec Function

• overbearingmomoverbearingmom Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Son is a freshman at UCONN. He is not reluctant to take advice, but hasn't generally been able to generalize any of the lessons he received. He's doing really well at UCONN, which I think has a great engineering program (my son is a math/linguistics major). He's reading emails (which he never did), he's sending texts and answering the phone. When we talk to him, he says "I'm working on a paper that's due NEXT WEEK". I am going to visit next week, so I should be able to get a better sense, but as far as I know, he's doing great
  • buckleupbuckleup Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Look into Elon. I know a boy who went there with executive function issues and thrived there.
  • RobynphdRobynphd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you so much...let me know how he likes UCONN!
  • RobynphdRobynphd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I don't know much about Elon except a few friends have had their kids go to school there. I'll look into it! Thank you!