So, I'm a resident of the U.S., and I applied to McGill as early as I possibly could during my senior year of high school. It was my dream school; my number one. I wanted more than anything to go there, but sadly, I was wait listed in the spring. With the May 1 decision deadline approaching, and no further word from McGill, I decided to enroll at Northeastern University in Boston. I liked Northeastern, although I certainly didn't love it as much as I loved McGill, and I made all the necessary plans to attend. I paid my enrollment deposit, went to orientation, made some friends, found a roommate, scheduled my classes, bought a meal plan, told all of my family and friends of my decision, etc.
About two days ago, McGill decided to accept me off the wait list, and gave me until July 17 to respond. I have no idea what to do. Everything is already set up for Northeastern already; my parents attended orientation with me and really liked the school, and they've already paid upwards of $1,000 to Northeastern. Northeastern gave me approximately $28,000 per year in scholarships, which is a lot.
I hope to work in journalism in the future with a focus on international relations and politics. As an American, would it make more sense for me to attend an American institution, get American internships, establish American connections, and work for an American publication, considering I don't plan on living in Canada for the rest of my life? Would it be fair to say that, for my purposes, Boston is a better city for journalism than Montreal?
Northeastern also has the co-op program, which could seriously help my job prospects.
More than anything, I'm terrified of upsetting my parents. They've already mentally, emotionally, and financially committed to Northeastern, but I feel like I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't at least visit McGill before July 17. I really don't want to cause such trouble for them, but this is such an important decision; I mean, this is my LIFE we're talking about, and maybe that's something I shouldn't be afraid to stand up for?
What do you guys think of both schools? What would you do if you were in my position?
Thank you so much in advance, I feel so helpless right now and any input would be immensely appreciated.