right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Is ACT Writing Required?

ryanwwwryanwww 16 replies4 threads New Member
I looked all over McGill's website but couldn't find anywhere that specifically say whether ACT Writing is required.
I have taken the ACT and gotten
English 29
Math 36
Reading 27
Science 33
but only 17 on writing.
I've asked Service Point but they did not give me answer to the question I was asking.

Thank you!

Also, would my decision come out in the first batch? I applied on September 1 and have 4.00 GPA weighted (my school only does weighted GPA). I applied to Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is ACT Writing Required?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 16009 replies1072 threads Senior Member
    Hmmm! The McGill admissions website used to clearly specify that the ACT with writing was required. Now it just says ACT. Contact Service Point again.

So you took the ACT with writing. Is it even possible to submit only certain subscores or are you planning on retaking the ACT without writing?
    · Reply · Share
  • ryanwwwryanwww 16 replies4 threads New Member
    There is not a way to submit only certain scores for ACT. The New SAT is actually easier so I am thinking about taking that. However, McGill doesn't have the minimum scores for the new SAT. But if not looking at the writing portion, how are my chances? Thank you!

And I'll contact Service Point again.
    · Reply · Share
    Also, is it correct that I can only send in one set of test scores?

I took the ACT again a month ago and got 8 on the writing (ACT's writing grading system is so messed up; I think the new 8 is probably above 24) but my reading was extremely low that time (23). If I could submit scores from two of my tests, I will be above the minimum requirement.
    · Reply · Share
    I contacted McGill and they said that ACT Writing is not required (if anybody has the same question I had).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity