right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

South Hadley

shelley14shelley14 836 replies44 threads Member
edited September 2008 in Mount Holyoke College
My daughter is interested in MH. She had a tour and an interview and really liked it. I'm concerned because there seems to be next to nothing in the town. The only thing I saw were the shops next to admissions. Is that all there is in South hadley?
edited September 2008
8 replies
Post edited by shelley14 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: South Hadley

• standardprintsstandardprints 33 replies2 threads Junior Member
    South Hadley, to my knowledge, is pretty small, and I think you saw most of it. On weekends, I think a fair amount of people travel to the larger cities of Northampton and Amherst, which are both about 30 minutes away. I can't speak about Amherst, but Northampton is filled with restaurants and quirky shops and is pretty delightful. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • icesk8momicesk8mom 271 replies24 threads Junior Member
    True, South Hadley isn't much. Fortunately, the PVTA free bus takes students between the five colleges. They can easily get to Amherst (which I find charming) and Northampton. With a bus change, can also get them to Route 9 where there is a mall and box store strip malls. My daughter is a rising junior at Mount Holyoke. Granted, she's loving the city life this summer during her internship in D.C., but she seems to keep very busy up at school.

There are many clubs on campus and the students can join clubs at the other schools. The debate society is very active. In fact, the National Tournement will be held at Mount Holyoke next year!
    · Reply · Share
  • eg1eg1 643 replies4 threads Member
    Amherst and Northampton are both delightful towns. I wouldn't worry too much about there not being much to do in South Hadley itself. I'm hoping my daughter will look at MHC when the time comes so I'll have an excuse to visit the area on a regular basis (at least for 4 years). Also, I think it is a great school.
    · Reply · Share
  • khsstitcheskhsstitches 580 replies16 threads Member
    There is TONS to do in Amherst but if she wants a real city, Boston and NYC would be the next closest thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • shelley14shelley14 836 replies44 threads Member
    She doesn't need a big city - but a restaurant or two, a coffee house would be nice to walk to.
    · Reply · Share
  • icesk8momicesk8mom 271 replies24 threads Junior Member
    She'll be fine then. Across the Street is the Village Commons, which houses a coffee shop (Thirsty Mind), a deli-style restaurant (Tailgate Picnic http://www.tailgatepicnic.com/), a casual restaurant (Johnny's), and I think a Chinese and/or Mexican restaurant. There is a very nice upscale restaurant (Food 101). Odyssey Bookstore and a a movie theater are also there.
    · Reply · Share
  • kkkdddkkkddd 12 replies2 threads New Member
    Though my daughter grew up near and spent a lot of time in New York City, she loves the location of MH and doesn't mind the smallness of South Hadley. She expected to spend more time in nearby towns, but now a junior, there is so much to do on campus she still finds plenty of stimulation right there. She is very social, but also pretty focused and I think she appreciates the "retreat" feel of MH without a lot of distractions. (The campus is gorgeous!)
    http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/com..._Princeton.MOV
    · Reply · Share
  • MHC2011MHC2011 284 replies3 threads Junior Member
    South Hadley is totally fine. We have two coffee shops right on campus that are very popular, and in Village Commons we have a movie theatre, several restaurants, the Thirstymind coffee shop that's very popular, a huge independent bookstore where we also get our textbooks, boutiques, and lots of other places. The Tailgate has a lot of grocery items -- I buy my eggs there, for example -- so that's handy. We also can use the PVTA for free, which everyone does, and there's a shuttle that goes to the Big Y plaza down the street on Thursdays and Fridays for $1 a ride. That plaza has a Friendly's and several other businesses and shops in addition to the grocery store.

There is ALWAYS something going on on campus. People rarely feel the need to leave unless they're going to one of the other colleges or going to the mall via PVTA. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity