Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Replies to: UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

• cooldude1818cooldude1818 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I just had a quick question, I was just wondering how do residency programs at different hospitals and universities view UMKC graduates?

I would think that most would prefer UMKC graduate due to there additional medical experience.

thanks
  • jessetfanjessetfan Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    I just found out that my interview is the 28th of Feb, and I'm thrilled. I'm out of state, from NH, so it feels like a long shot to get in, but I'm glad I got the interview. Anyone have any tips to make a good impression? Should I bring a copy of my resume? It doesn't really have a lot of medical stuff on it, but I did attend a fairly competitive medical ethics program and do rather well. Let me know any tips you might have. Thank you.
  • melodious04melodious04 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    It really depends on which residency you are aiming for. Some top residency programs really enjoy having UMKC grads because of their awesome bedside manner (and of course excellent clinical skills) that you develop through the program. I'm sure there are some programs out there that may not like it as much since you will be 2 years younger than most of the other applicants (and since UMKC is not a top 25 school), but going through a 6 year program will get you noticed at the very least. Looking at the match list from a year back I see a lot of good places on there, (Mayo, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt etc.) so if you work hard I don't see any reason why a competitive residency would be unattainable...

On the other side of this though (I know this wasn't in your post cooldude... this is just my extra $0.02 :)), when you are 24 and thinking about a family AND a career, going to a big name place for a residency probably isn't going to be your main concern. You should go where you and your family will be happy, and I asure you that UMKC grads have no problem getting into a residency where they will be happy (maybe not during intern year... but you know :)).

And to jessetfan.... should you bring a resume? I don't know, it couldn't hurt I guess but they should have all of your information on file already. And are you talking about the expensive medical thing in DC that I couldn't afford? he he :)
    No, I went to a program at the St. Paul's School, for NH residents. It was really educational and I enjoyed it immensely, I'm planning to use my textbook to study for the interview it covers both sides of most current medical issues.
    Could anyone tell me how the calendar works at UMKC? I know it is a 48 week year, but when is vacation? Is there any place where I could actually look at the calendar? I couldn't find it on the school of medicine website. Thanks.
  • woohoowoohoo Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I just found out about my interview date (i'm out of state) Is the final decision for who gets into the program based only on interview, or do they review the entire file (stats,extra curriculars etc) along with the interview?

also, really stupid question, what are we supposed to wear? is it really formal, like suits? or just nice clothes?
  • macantu17macantu17 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    that's not a stupid question, i was actually wondering the same thing
    I'm not exactly sure woohoo, but since you can't change your stats or extra curriculars at this point in the game, just focus on your interview.

Suits are swell if you have one (for girls also). If not, nice dress clothes are perfectly acceptable too.

O! And about the calendar...it changes so I would ask at the interview. For my year we get winter break (2 weeks), spring break (1 week) and 1 week off in May (this break is different for each person depending on when you have hospital team). Summer classes end at the end of July, and then you have break until school starts around August 23rdish. Past year 2, I believe different groups have a different month off, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.
    So with the calendar do you have time to spend Christmas with your family if you're from out of state? I don't have a problem with spending most of my time away from my family, but I would really have to think about giving up the chance to spend Christmas at home.
    Of course!! The two weeks fall during Christmas and there are plenty of opportunities (3 day weekends) to go home.

They close the dorms during winter break anyway so you have to get out. :D

O! And there is thanksgiving break too!. It's really not a 48 week year until you get to year 3...
    Thank you so much melodious04! I really appreciate all your help, i've been reading all the posts that others have made and your posts are always very informative and make me think that i can get through all this stuff!

Is it cold in Kansas City right now? I'm from CA so basically anything at 70 is cold...:/
    Um... evening classes were canceled the other day because we got 7 inches of snow in about 20 minutes. As I write this, it is currently sunny and 18 degrees.

It is *cold*. :) But sledding is fun!
  • cooldude1818cooldude1818 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I had my interview yesturday. First went pretty well...Second one went awesome..So it is just a waiting game now
    haha!! well then..i guess that just put me in my place lol, 18 degrees...lol.

cooldude-did you like the campus/tour? was the chem test hard? did you do anything to prepare? also, did they ask any questions about current health/medical concerns?
    I'm getting nervous about my interview, is there anything you can do to prepare for it other than having someone ask you questions? I was planning to study using my ethics book, is this a good idea? I am also interested in the chemistry exam, how do you prepare for it? What is passing? I really want to get into this program, so I'm really curious about how to give the best interview possible.