right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UT Dallas attracts 170 NMF scholars for class of 2022, adding to 160 in class of 2021

MnacttutorMnacttutor 70 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
https://www.utdallas.edu/news/2018/8/23-33092_University-Becomes-Popular-Destination-for-Nationa_story-wide.html?WT.mc_id=NewsEmail

The package is basically a full ride, covering all but $168 dollars and books. It is a great school with a really strong honors college and many academic peers. Also if you consider it, check out the Clark Scholars summer research program and the McDermott Scholars Program.
79 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UT Dallas attracts 170 NMF scholars for class of 2022, adding to 160 in class of 2021

• SatchelSFSatchelSF 1372 replies13 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I do think, over time, that these programs of awarding scholarships to the most able students will pay off (on average - no one thinks that a PSAT score is the be all and end all for intelligence testing).

Southern states are leading the way here, especially Florida with its Benacquisto program now open to OOS, and Texas.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5524 replies337 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Mnacttutor the NM kids should be getting a check mid Septmber, I think for $625? that should cover that $168 and leave the rest for books:-)
    · Reply · Share
  • MnacttutorMnacttutor 70 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thanks @3scoutsmom - we did not realize that. Nice.
    · Reply · Share
    @Mnacttutor the reason it's not with the rest of the scholarship is because it's the portion that comes directly from NMSC.
    Your National Merit Scholarship check from NMSC will not arrive until approximately the middle of September. Once received, we will deposit it on your behalf, and the university will then send the money to you via direct deposit. We will email you once the checks have arrived.
    · Reply · Share
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher 910 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    I am so happy UTD is attracting so many NMFs. Such a wonderful school!
    · Reply · Share
  • tabbychirotabbychiro 46 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    How necessary is it to write an essay for the UTD app? It looks like it is an optional essay, which normally I would interpret as required. But if son is likely to be a NMF, can he get away with no essay? Or does that just look bad?
    · Reply · Share
  • NuScholarNuScholar 224 replies19 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited September 2018
    So many top institutions no longer provide full scholarships for simply being a Merit Scholar so it's no surprise UTD has 170
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
    @tabbychiro I don't know but why would you even chance missing out on a full ride scholarship by not submitting an essay???
    · Reply · Share
  • tabbychirotabbychiro 46 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited September 2018
    @3scoutsmom I just wanted son to be done with the app already but once again he is more sensible than I am and is planning to do the essay
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threadsRegistered User Member
    As hardly any top school gives money for any merit, let alone NMSF, lower ranking schools like UTD benefit from it. However, I must add that only few of my children’s high achiever friends even considered UTD. Ones who did had pressure from controlling Asian parents, who wanted kids to stay home or nearby and go pre-Med.
    · Reply · Share
  • GTAustinGTAustin 1180 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I also know somebody who turned down a full ride to Purdue this year to accept a less than full ride at UTD. She was not a NMF but AES. She is premed and like the research opportunities, the Clark research program as well the acceptance rates to med school.
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited September 2018
    University of Oaklohoma enrolls even more semifinalists and while both are decent colleges, can't even make top 100 nationally let alone top 20. It is what it is.

However, I totally agree that a free undergrad degree is tempting, specially when COA for top colleges is a fortune if you aren't eligible for much financial aid or rare merit scholarships only few of them offer. Anyway, hardly half of semifinalist get accepted at a top 20 college.

As too many from UTD are pre-Med so not sure if it is the best stratedgy to go there to improve your odds, probably non urban campuses of A&M/UT or privates with merit like Baylor/TCU would give an edge.
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • GTAustinGTAustin 1180 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    UT Dallas has a 73% acceptance rate to medical schools. https://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/results I have looked for these same stats for UT Austin and have not been able to find them. I have not looked for the others. In my experience, it is the GMAT score that matters the most and which ever university prepares you for that test is the one you should go to.
    · Reply · Share
  • PhlipperPhlipper 206 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I think some people get all wrapped up on the "prestige" of attending a name university instead of looking at what the school has to offer. UTD is a great school.
    · Reply · Share