Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.
Visit our COVID-19 resource page.
Your College Confidential guide bot.
Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.
IMPORTANT NEWS:CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!
Hey guys, I was just wondering about my chances to get into NYU Regular Decision for pre-med (NOT Sterns)....I would not be willing to apply ED since I will porbably applying ED to JHU (my dream school)...
First of all, I am entering my senior year at HS in a top notch public high schools in NJ...
GPA is about a 4.0 (my school doesn't rank....)
SAT I: 2150 (first time...plan to retake in October)
Math II C: 790
Bio: 660 (I know this is weak)
Chem: 660 (Again...this is very weak)
I will have taken 9 AP classes by the time I graduate...
AP Calc AB, AP Stat, AP Spanish, AP US History, AP Art History, AP Chem, AP Bio, AP English I, and AP English II
All of my grades are B+'s and A's (one B in AP English....but I got a sure 5 on the test...the class is notoriously challenging in my HS, but as a result everyone gets a 5)
- President of Genetic Research Club at my HS (this is not based on a typical popular election, you have to be selected by a board of Rutgers Professors...there is a whole admissions process...only two kids from my school got selected...I was one of them)
- Attending Genetic Research summer program at Rutgers this summer (part of the genetics club presidency)
- Also visiting a foreign nation this summer
- 150+ volunteer hours at local hospital
- Vice President of Auxilliary at local hospital for past three years (raises money for the hospital by organizing findraisers such as walkathons)
- Orchestra from age 8
- Private lessons for past five years
- All the honors societies (Spanish honors, national honors, Mu Alpha Theta)
- Nominated and participated in Natural Helpers Program for the past four years
- Me and a group of friends created our own online school newspaper/forum (I'm an admin in there....I don't know if that would count as anything, but it does eat up a LOT of time)
-Very strong reccomendations (a lot of my teachers like me a lot...I can't figure out why...they actually ask me to let them write recommendations for me)
- I am a pretty good writer...therefore I will probably have descent essays
-Grades went down slightly in my junior year since I broke my foot while playing basketball (intramurals...not on school team). I was in a cast and on crutches for two months and had a walking brace for another one month. Will colleges take this into consideration?
-GPA has increased every year from a 3.7 in freshman year...I have heard that's a good thing...