Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does a sibling alumni count as legacy?

samshan3samshan3 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Northwestern University
I'm an up and coming senior and am starting the application process for colleges. My sister just graduated from NU this year.

I know parents who attend the university carry weight in the admission decision, but could a sibling possibly up my chances? She was very successful academically, if that counts for anything.

My stats are similar to hers when she applied, but I have noticed a trend at Northwestern where each year it gets harder and harder to get in.
Post edited by samshan3 on

Replies to: Does a sibling alumni count as legacy?

• jrparjrpar Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    My understanding is that being a sibling does count. Not a lot, but some. There are a lot of sibling pairs at Northwestern.
  • nugraddadnugraddad Registered User Posts: 1,332 Senior Member
    My son was admitted ED, and his big sister was a 2009 grad. Although I have to say my sons grades, scores and batting average were all higher than his sisters...

"Back in the day", D was one of 2500 admits with 10,000 apps. Last year, S was one of 2500 with 32,000 apps. Pretty scary stats, but S wanted NU ever since jr high, so ED was an easy decision for him.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
This discussion has been closed.