Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Edwards' Press Conference

Replies to: Edwards' Press Conference

• BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of Edwards but I don't think that he should go to jail for 30 years (actually at all) for this. Prosecution seems a little overkill - perhaps several of the jurors felt the same way.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,930 Senior Member
    BC, I agree that a criminal conviction was over the top (and, I guess, so did the jury), but I think we all agree he is scum.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Registered User Posts: 5,998 Senior Member
    I agree, he's not a criminal, he is scum.

Please, I just never want to see that face or hear that voice again. Let him retire to obscurity with his family.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 26,153 Senior Member
    Some of us could clearly see all along what a lying sack Edwards is. Makes my blood run cold that so many were so willing to support him to the presidency just 'cause he's so pretty.

But it would seem to me that he is guilty of fine-able offenses and the prosecution chosen was more than a bit much. Hopefully he will now crawl under a rock and stay there.
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,442 Senior Member
    Anyone who gave him campaign funding was pretty dumb.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    An awful lot of pilin' on goin' on. I seem to remember a more recent Presidential candidate who ran out on not one, but TWO sick wives.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    I seem to remember a recent President that supposedly did some pretty inappropriate things in the White House...can you say Lewinsky?

What an embarrassment! Had to come up with some clever language for our then 8 yr old to explain that one's actions. Would have liked for that one to handle the "splainin'" to my 8 yr old!

Is it most politicians or just men?

Def agree that Edwards was just a little too close for comfort with regards to being President--we dodged a bullett.
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,022 Senior Member
    Don't like Edwards at all, but a non-conviction is a good thing for his kids. Imagine losing your mother, then shortly after facing the prospect of your father possibly going to jail.
  • LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,883 Senior Member
    Calling it "sin" = To make a clear distinction his misdeeds are not crimes

And the jury agreed.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,520 Senior Member
    I hate to see more $ wasted on him. He's been shamed. Let him pay child support and go back to his family. When you donate to politicians you get what you pay for--nothing.
  • lake42kslake42ks Registered User Posts: 1,171 Member
    iirc, more women liked Edwards back then.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,930 Senior Member
    Yeah, I liked Edwards back then. And I'm a woman. But that was early on in the campaign, and that's why these brutal campaigns aren't entirely a bad thing. People really do get "vetted" as the campaign goes on.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, but I betcha Romney has never had any problem keeping his Johnson in his pants. I think when it comes to that, he's squeaky clean.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    Jurors on the John Edwards trial said Friday that prosecutors failed badly in trying to prove their case, but several indicated they believe the former Democratic presidential hopeful was guilty of at least some of the charges against him.

In an appearance on “Good Morning America,” one juror, identified by ABC News as Theresa Fuller, said prosecutors lacked evidence to show that Edwards had taken illegal campaign donations.

Read more: John Edwards trial: Jurors say gov?t had no case - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    I seem to remember a recent President that supposedly did some pretty inappropriate things in the White House...can you say Lewinsky?"

I sure can - one of the great heroes of our time. She kept us out of war.
  • massloumasslou Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    I'm mostly apolitical, but I think we need to realize that we shouldn't look for a moral standard-bearer to lead our country. Some of the best CEOs, managers, political leaders; and yes, presidents, have been liars, cheaters and, probably, thieves. Some of the founding 'fathers' were also less than stellar in that department. Not sure how we arrived at the premise that our politicians must be pillars of the moral community. Edwards did some sickening things--no question about it. However, I believe he's accepting responsibility for his mistakes and wants to do good in the world. Not sure what else he can do. No question he's a good trial lawyer. That winning smile and charming personality have won over numerous juries. Now, he can use it--or not--to do good in the world.

If I were in his shoes, I'd want people to take me at my word at least until my actions no longer warrant such confidence.
This discussion has been closed.