Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,476 Senior Member
    I use straws and not giving them up. I do often reuse them.
  • musicprntmusicprnt Registered User Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    If you like to use straws at home, there are biodegradable/compostable straws, they are all over the place, for example,
    https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Biodegradable-Paper-Straws-Striped/dp/B004K8N18Q.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 37,744 Senior Member
    IMO, ice in drinks is much more damaging to the planet than straws. :) Just think how much energy is going into making that ice. It is just the unfortunate effects of nature interacting with straws are much more graphic...
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,608 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    We don't use straws at home. I wonder if you could get the coffee places to put their iced coffee in their hot cups? I think for milkshake types drinks straws are pretty much a necessity. Once upon a time straws were made of waxed paper, maybe we should go back to that. (Actually Google tells me there are companies making compostable straws.)

Actually, we can have an influence on what restaurants buy. Talk to the manager. Write to headquarters for the chain restaurants.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,876 Super Moderator
    Ugh, even a cold drink warms up quickly without ice. Don't know how people drink it. I do ask them not to fill up the whole cup with ice, but a half cup is good. I guess I'm stubborn. Not giving up straws.
    Just double-checked the plastic straws I use--they are recyclable.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    "plastic straws are not recyclable. Plastic straws are made from polypropylene, which is a byproduct of petroleum, a fossil fuel that requires an incredible amount of energy and natural resources to extract and refine. Polypropylene is identifiable by the resin identification code 5 and is commonly recyclable, just often not in drinking straw format. Size is the biggest barrier to straw recycling. As plastic travels down conveyor belts while being sorted, small items like bottle caps and straws fall through the cracks and end up being sent to the landfill. As of right now there aren’t many (if any) special straw-recycling facilities either, which means when you use a straw, you know that plastic will sit in a landfill for years to come."

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/because-you-asked-what-s-so-bad-about-plastic-straws
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,057 Senior Member
    "Most cold drinks in the USA are already very cold without ice. And you get more beverage for your $"

I ask for my ice on the side as they never seem to put enough in - but i never order anything but water (unless it's an alcohol beverage) and it's never cold enough for my liking,

Sipping on straws can cause wrinkle around ones's mouth. http://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/a15724/do-straws-cause-wrinkles/

edited June 2017
    Mine are marked with a 4 for recycling.

And as for wrinkles guess you don't get to drink out of a water bottle either.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    Many things marked aren't actually recyclable in many places.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,057 Senior Member
    "And as for wrinkles guess you don't get to drink out of a water bottle either."

Yep. The whole straw/water bottle thingy came up for me years ago because I play tennis and we all brought water bottles with us when we played. I now use a large thermal cup and take the lid off.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 976 Member
    Milo used to be my son's friend until they moved out of town (too bad). Extremely smart kid, was homeschooled and traveled a lot with his mom for many years. I'd love to find out what college he ends up in.
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 3,005 Senior Member
    For those of you who don't want to give up on straws, there are reusable ones
    https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Straws-Stainless-NON-TOXIC-non-plastic/dp/B009ZOYCA6

There are silicone ones as well. I've had sensitive teeth before so I understand not wanting to give them up (I bugged the dentist a lot to please find the bad tooth, eventually fixed). Fortunately, I don't need them anymore.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    For those of you who don't have access to the Washington Post, just clear your browser history, close your browser, and open it again. You'll find that you have free access to 10 articles. When that runs out, simply repeat the process.

It's not like the Wall Street Journal, which has a real paywall.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    Ted's uses paper straws but they grate on my teeth so I choose to sip at their restaurants.