Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Be Straw Free

Replies to: Be Straw Free

• chicagocubschicagocubs Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    No straws for me! Thanks for promoting this campaign.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,545 Senior Member
    I just wonder how well one cleans the reusable straws--stainless steel and other materials ones. The hole is so small it would be tough to put anything in it to brush the sides. Pipe cleaners tend to be too short. Hmm
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    @himom See the link in post #28. They come with their own little brushes made to fit inside. Easy peasy.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,871 Senior Member
    I only use straws in restaurants. For health reasons, I don't want to put my mouth on the cup.

I have a hard straw I can bring with me but I always forget the damn thing when I go out :(
  • JenJenJenJenJenJenJenJen Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    We bought a box of biodegradable straws, but they are essentially thickish paper and get soggy while you use 'em. Essentially, they start the biodegrading process while in use!
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 5,147 Senior Member
    We bought a set of metal julep cups many, many years ago and have used the metal straws that came with them exclusively for all drinks ever since. Nice to find out we've been doing the right thing in ignorance. I rarely use a straw, though, due to the wrinkle concern noted on the previous page. I'll take my chances with the germs on the cup.
  • ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Oh dear - another new thing to be guilt-tripped about.

We never use straws at home, but we commonly get served them in restaurants whether we ask for them or not. I use them in fast-food places because I like to cover my drink with a plastic lid to prevent spillage, particularly when taking the drink out "to go." And a straw is the only way to drink the soda when you've got a plastic lid on the cup. I'm fine with it if they want to bring paper straws back. But are plastic lids now a sin too?
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,515 Senior Member
    @Scipio No guilt trip. If it works for you fine, if it doesn't fine. It was something I didn't really focus on but can easily give up without thinking twice. Perhaps with time, drinks can be dispensed in packaging that doesn't require straws. Look at progress that has been made in other areas just because awareness was raised and packaging altered with little to zero downside to the consumer. Packaging in many areas is so much better than it used to be. Sorry if little baby steps cause you to feel guilt. :)
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,056 Senior Member
    They've been banned at national parks for quite a few years. They explain to you why they don't serve straws at restaurants.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    My doctor told me that using straws could be bad for my GERD because it could cause air to get in and make me burp. I generally sip now and only use straws for iced coffee. My entire family orders our drinks without ice and I don't use ice at home. I felt completely at ease in Europe and oddly uncomfortable down South when I ask for no ice in my soft drinks.

The environmental argument makes me even more interested in not using straws. We did have the stainless steel ones for a long time but I don't really see a need for them now in our house.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    I've never seen a stainless steel straw, but wouldn't that have the same issues with temperature as drinking directly at the ice? And no, I don't want to spend any of my day washing out a straw with a little tiny brush! I'm willing to look for the paper ones in the store.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,018 Senior Member
    I keep the SS straws in a water bottle (tall and not frivolous for water use) with a little detergent and bleach. Smoothies are not your friend if they are not quickly cleaned, but this works fine for us. The brush lives close by for a quick swish. My people just grab from the bottle, rinse and use. I change the water at some point in the day.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,545 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    I rarely use straws but am just as happy without ice or drinking carefully so I don't splash myself from the huge ice cube that is many of the small ones combined. For takeout, we ask for a cup and drink water most of the time. H does like drinks with straws at takeout.
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,834 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    Paper straws taste weird to me. I have reusable plastic straws for my lidded drink cups, and a straw cleaner. The straw cleaner sits in a holder with the bottle brush, dish scrubber, and scrub daddy, by the sink.

I have this one: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2742781694048079092?lsf=seller:7815,store:14659814441036802029&prds=oid:7868005520239455241&q=straw+cleaner&hl=en-us&ei=L_VXWfqbH8Lr-QGu0qfABQ&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwkN3KBRCuARIsADT_flr6SCkoOZ2HBxeUeJBkP79q57CCVdwY27hfgzZQe0MomgKDsexWYZ4aAp33EALw_wcB