Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does anyone have google fi cellphone service?

2»

Replies to: Does anyone have google fi cellphone service?

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,364 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, I think the price for GB ($10 per GB) stops at 6GB and there is no charge for any used over that, up to 15 GB after which they could throttle down the speed. The price for the account is discounted for more phones per account.
  • geraniolgeraniol Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    I had T-mobile before switching to Project Fi. Overall, I found reception with Fi better than T-mobile but that will depend on where you are. The costs ended up being ~$10 less/month using Fi for me (one line) on average. Any month where I wasn't traveling I would pay ~$30.

I love the Pixel series phones. Fi uses an e-Sim in the Pixel which leaves my sim card slot free for another card (handy if I'm traveling and want a cheap sim card for local phone service without roaming). I can switch between the sim and the e-sim easily. Fi does not charge extra for data roaming or international texting, but does charge for phone calls placed from outside the US.
    Anyone know if I’d have any trouble switching carriers since my accounts is currently a business account?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    geraniol wrote:
    I had T-mobile before switching to Project Fi. Overall, I found reception with Fi better than T-mobile but that will depend on where you are.

Google Fi with a "designed for Fi" phone is supposed to automatically switch between T Mobile, Sprint, and open wifi with VPN, so places where T Mobile coverage is poor, but one of the others exists should work better than T Mobile.
    I believe the ios (iphones) is still in beta testing? Yes?
  • esobayesobay Registered User Posts: 1,333 Senior Member
    DH has had google fi account forever. Mostly uses it as a secondary line for travel. I use one of his four data only sims in my iPad so I think it works on IOS. I use my google voice account and make and receive calls to the iPad and forwarding my home phone works in places like Scotland England Canada peru and New Zealand. Never got a voice phone sim like DH has though.
  • esobayesobay Registered User Posts: 1,333 Senior Member
    Oh and I did use the data sim in my iPhone se6 last trip and it worked fine. There are still limited phones for use under android too.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 850 Member
    We bought a Nexus 5x from google when we signed up for the google fi service. At the time it was the cheapest option. It is our only android. The camera on the Nexus 5x phone is pretty nice for the price.