Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need help with a birthday care package

Replies to: Need help with a birthday care package

• WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    @greenwitch I looked up the link you posted - I would suggest Borders Dark Chocolate Gingers. My all time favourity biscuit!! At only 8 biscuits in a pack they come out expensive even in the UK but well worth the treat.

Shocked at the Robinson's squash - I'd have sent him that - he loves it but I buy it for £1 here - $1.30 - so $4.00 is a bit steep. I'll remember to pack some in my suitcase next time we're visiting.

Not keen on Soreen loaf or Eccles cakes but to be honest if they were the only thing on offer I'd eat them. :))
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,518 Senior Member
    @Whistlingal - did you see all 4 pages of treats? I'd be interested in your opinion. A can of spotted dick shows up somewhere, lol.
  • milee30milee30 Registered User Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    My husband is British and when I first met his very proper English mother, I was making small talk and asked about his favorite foods. The first thing she said was "spotted dick". I struggled hard not to laugh but I'm pretty sure I turned bright red.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,619 Senior Member
    My D just celebrated her 19th bday at college. I ordered cupcakes from a highly rated local bakery that was delivered to her school. She loved them. She also took her friends out for brunch the Sunday before her bday and used the credit card I gave her to pay for the meal. Does your S have a CC he could use to treat everyone for a meal?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,142 Senior Member
    I am seriously thinking don't send him English stuff from some overpriced British shop.
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 3,131 Senior Member
    The garrett mix from the garrettpopcorn.com site - how good would that be with the red solo cups and it comes in a tin so won't get crushed.
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    Garrett Mix AKA Chicago Mix (until they got sued for using that name) is truly a great snack. Loved it up until I had diverticulitis...
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,222 Senior Member
    Another vote for Garrett's - a tin of it is pure heaven.

Can you send me one too? :)
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,701 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    I didn't read the whole thread but we sent as stated an Insomia chocolate chip cookie cake. He has a meeting in college and shared it with the people there.

They texted him and said they had a delivery for him and sent it to his dorm.... Not 100% surprised but we had no other way to do it since he walks past there daily I though he might just go lick it up and be easier in general.

Just reading above, yes to Garrett's.. Living in Chicago hard not to get some when walking around.

Also how about like ticket to a play in his area?
  • WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    I'm having problems accessing the Garrett's site. The link above doesn't take me anywhere and a search takes me to the same non place!

@greenwitch spotted dick comes in plastic pudding moulds now so that you can microwave it. But when I was a kid it came in a tin and needed to be steamed for an hour! But I do love spotted dick- sweet suet pudding with raisins - what's not to love :))

I like the Mrs Field's cookie tins. There will be about 14 to 20 of them on the break so need something that will go a long way and my lad loves cookies.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,820 Senior Member
    I personally detest mail order/online baked goods--they're usually full of preservatives that I can taste or they are horribly sweet. I would contact a bakery in the area where they will be, then ask if they can bake a fresh cake for him. It will taste much better and you will be able to request his favorite flavors.

Or bake something you know he loves and send it in dry ice. (Can you send dry ice overseas?)
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 33,767 Senior Member
    I agree that if you can post what city they'll be in for spring break, someone here will surely know a good bakery who would deliver, if that appeals. Buying a gift card for pizza is always a huge hit as well, so he can treat the gang to a nice birthday meal.
    Garrett's does not deliver internationally so maybe their web site won't operate in other countries? I sent a message asking if it was possible to order from overseas for delivery within the United States.

Can you get into this web site? Will your son have a kitchenette? https://www.tastesofchicago.com/
    Already heard from Garret's
    Thank you for contacting Garrett Brands. Yes, that i possible however. We are only able to take payments from from debit card with a U.S Billing address or Canada Billing address. Our customer experience phone number is 888-476-7267.

Don't know how you order if you can't even see the web site; she didn't address that part of the question.
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,884 Senior Member
    I know my daughter has trouble access some US websites from the UK. Right before she moved back to the states, I had to activate her patient portal for one of her doctors as she could not get on the website. It is not unusual to not be able to get on some sites from outside the country.