right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Another travel question road trip Washington state

Replies to: Another travel question road trip Washington state

• mom60mom60 7842 replies504 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @zipyourlips we have been to Vancouver the city several times. I agree it’s a great city. I’m trying to narrow my list of spots not add more. LOL.
    @BunsenBurner I’ll look into renting a car from downtown.
    · Reply · Share
    @BunsenBurner should we consider just visiting Mt Rainer for the day from Seattle?
    @busdriver11 what hours are considered rush out in the Seattle area? Our flight is just 2 1(2 hours and we are coming from the same time zone so if we didn’t have traffic to deal with we could drive a bit that first night.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38751 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If your flight lands at 4:45, by the time you deplane and get your rental car, it will be close to 6. Traffic will still be a major cluster at that time. Another thing to consider... Parking downtown is not cheap! Easily $40 a night at some centrally located places. The train is awesome for getting to downtown. Safe and clean, and costs less than $4 per person.

You can easily visit both Sunrise and Paradise areas of Mt Rainier in one day and do a short hike at either or both. We would take our visitors there for a day trip from our house north of Seattle.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34201 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    When we visited Seattle, we chose to use public transit and taxis. We avoided renting a car until we were driving out of the city to Ranier. Paying for parking when you can find a space is pretty expensive. Much of the city is walkable or there are also good transit options.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 3896 replies81 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Definitely fly Kenmore to Lopez if your bags are light enough. They have a limit. The flight is short and you land on the water, which I think is fun. It will save you the drive to Anacortes. If your H's friend has a car on Lopez, you won't need one. If not, that may be a reason to do the ferry.
    · Reply · Share
  • busdriver11busdriver11 15212 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Plus add to the fact that the ferry is surprisingly expensive.

Biking on Lopez Island is something I really enjoy doing, we generally take our bikes on the ferry there every few years.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Regarding hiking at Rainier, also crowded on weekends, better for a weekday. 🙂
    · Reply · Share
  • cameo43cameo43 1644 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We walked to our downhill destinations from our rented condo in Seattle, and took Uber back... it is very hilly like San Francisco... a good workout for sure, but we weren’t keen on walking uphill so much on our vacation! Uber was super convenient.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7770 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Although you have been to the city of Vancouver, Victoria on Vancouver Island is worth a ferry trip. Unfortunately, the ferries might be sold out for the Summer. Will need a passport if venturing into Canada if you plan to return to the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • BerneseMtnMomBerneseMtnMom 323 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    We just got back from one week in Seattle visiting son. Weather was beautiful. We had a great Airbnb. Can't wait to visit again, maybe next summer!
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14031 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We usually stay at a moderate hotel near the airport- using their shuttle to/from the airport when getting in late and leaving early. We rent the car the next day and return it in the evening. We have schlepped bags to the light rail station and used off site car rentals- some bad, others fine.
    · Reply · Share
    Be careful and check the weather before going to Mt Rainier. Apparently it just snowed! Can't believe that's still happening this time of year. Unless you have gear for a snow hike, you have to definitely research this.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38751 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, good point, bus! If OP is going in early August, chances of a snowfall should be quite low. The alpine meadows in bloom at Paradise are amazing that time of the year.
    · Reply · Share
    Really, wouldn't you think August would be perfect? And the wildflowers!
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5500 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    But beware of fires!
    · Reply · Share
    I hope for all of us a fire free season. I’m know it won’t happen but at least I can hope.
    My D got married on Saturday and I am still exhausted. As soon as I have some energy I need to get planning. I saw my friend today with the place in Gig harbor and she gave me the dates she will be in Washington. As you all have suggested she said I should plan on seeing her first or last as she isn’t far from the airport.
    · Reply · Share
    Moving forward I decided we will have two weeks give or take a day. I got a one night reservation in Mt Rainier at the Paradise inn. The reservation in Mt Rainier is a Tuesday. We would arrive in Seattle on a Saturday late afternoon. Am I correct in assuming I won’t have rush hour traffic into Seattle on a Saturday?
    Where would you stay in Seattle? I’ve been several times to Pikes Market. I can’t remember where we stayed in the past as it was a lot of years ago. I want to go to the Chihuly glass museum. I would also like to go to the Ballard locks. I also like to wander neighborhoods. H isn’t a city person but he is a good sport as long as I don’t have him driving a lot. Restaurants? Nothing super formal.
    I still need to figure out if we will go to Lopez Island from Mt Rainier or if we will do the Cascade loop and then Lopez. We will go to Gig harbor last.
    · Reply · Share
    Saturday afternoon should be clear... unless there is something major going downtown (check the Seafair schedule and game schedule!). I can't comment on the lodging because we rarely stay downtown. There are all sorts of options here. The new Hyatt Regency just opened on Olive & 8th. It looks nice (I am looking at it from my bus window as we speak). Alternatively, you can stay elsewhere. There are some hotels in the lower Queen Anne area that would place you close to the activity and give you the taste of the neighborhoods. MarQueen hotel or Hotel Max (?) I think. There is also Homewood Suites closer to the water. Lots of eating options around for sure.

Downtown Four Seasons and Fairmont Olympic are posh and popular but on the pricy side.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14031 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 27
    We tend to stay in moderate hotels in the suburbs, especially with the high season rates. Use it for sleeping mainly. Pick a place with light rail service and you can avoid using your car for city center activities. Do figure in the hotel parking rates- I have seen $30-35 per 24 hours.
    edited June 27
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks @BunsenBurner and @wis75 (thank you also for the PM). I need to get moving on an itinerary and reservations. Aside from my one night in Mt Rainier I’ve done nothing. I need to at least book flights if I want to get the one nonstop. I’m usually pretty good about travel planning. I think for this trip I prefer to stay in Seattle proper. Considering the Maxwell or the Andra. That Homewood Suites also is decently priced for the time of year. I would just prefer something with more character. I used to have a family member who worked for Fairmont, I miss that family discount. I’m prepared that lodging for this trip will be expensive.
    The car rental I haven’t decided what to do. If we pick up the car right away we will have to pay a few nights of parking in Seattle when we aren’t using the car. OTOH we would have the car so we could get an early morning start to Mt Rainier. My H is also now suggesting maybe we go to López first.
    · Reply · Share