right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Jeffrey Epstein arrest and prosecution - is anyone following the case?

GnocchiBGnocchiB 2071 replies230 postsRegistered User Senior Member
edited July 18 in Parent Cafe
I have been reading about the sweetheart deal the financier Jeffrey Epstein got from federal prosecutors in FL in 2008, when he pleaded guilty to two state prostitution charges as part of a secret, lenient deal he negotiated with the United States attorney in Miami that allowed him to avoid federal prosecution. The deal also immunized his unnamed co-conspirators (the female fixers he paid to find a stream of young women to abuse). The sexual abuse victims were underage girls and the prison let him out to go to work 6 days a week. A Miami Herald reporter has been on this story for many years and has not given up. In this age of #MeToo, I think there's a lot less willingness to look away from sexual abuse cases/give powerful men a pass than there used to be.

I am glad that he has been re-investigated and was arrested a couple of weeks ago. I feared that he would be let out on bail and flee the country because he is reportedly worth $500 million and has passports under different aliases from Austria and Saudi Arabia.

Thankfully, Epstein was denied bail today. Perhaps justice will be served in this case. Link to article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/nyregion/jeffrey-epstein-bail-hearing.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
edited July 18
325 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Jeffrey Epstein arrest and prosecution - is anyone following the case?

• skieuropeskieurope 38452 replies6720 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 18
    the United States attorney in Miami
    aka former United States Secretary of Labor Alex Acosta, who resigned from that position last week.
    has passports under different aliases from Austria and Saudi Arabia.
    In the interest of accuracy, it's been reported as one passport with an alias - Austrian with a Saudi address.

While I think there's enough to lock him up forever, I hope more of his victims are willing to come forward.
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18249 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'd like to know more about how he was able to get the sweetheart deal in Miami. Federal prosecutors had prepared a 53-page-indictment, yet somehow Acosta agreed not to do any federal prosecution at all, and instead let Epstein off without pleading to any crimes involving underage girls, and ending up "going to jail" for only a year. The scare quotes around "going to jail" are because, unbelievably, he had to spend nights in a local jail, but he could leave jail during the day. Some prison sentence.

Also Acosta was required to notify the victims about the sweetheart deal, but did not. The deal was in state court, not federal court, so the victims who were cooperating with federal prosecutors knew nothing about it until it was way too late to try to intervene. A judge recently ruled that this was illegal.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3andout3andout 77 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Just finished "Filthy Rich," from 2016. It's an excellent exposition of what went on in Florida, and includes interviews and deposition transcripts. Made my head want to explode.
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2071 replies230 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    One thing I've been wondering about is whether Alex Acosta will have a hard time finding another job. I'd like for more to be known about how exactly the deal came to be approved, both by Acosta personally and the DOJ in DC.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3663 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Acosta broke the law. ZERO sympathy for him.
    U.S. District Judge Kenneth A. Marra ruled that the decision to keep more than 30 of Epstein’s accusers in the dark about the non-prosecution deal that allowed Epstein, a prominent financier with political connections, to avoid federal prosecution was unconstitutional.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alexander-acosta-trumps-labor-secretary-broke-the-law-in-jeffrey-epstein-case-judge
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1589 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Epstein is a detestable character who should have been imprisoned and impoverished long ago, but the current faux outrage over the deal Acosta brokered is political posturing.

Acosta made sure Epstein got a felony conviction and jail time, which is more than the Palm Beach County prosecutor wanted. There was enough evidence to put him away for years on state charges, gathered by county police. Most sex crimes are and should be prosecuted at the state level (County prosecutors). Because this prosecutor wouldn't do his job, Acosta brokered a deal. I haven't seen anything to indicate that he had a slam-dunk case with victims willing to testify on the federal charges, the leg work had all been done by the county police on the state charges. Acosta's leverage was to threaten a federal prosecution if more was not done on the state charges, but it could have been an empty threat, practically and politically.

It's right to be mad that he got away with things for this long, might as well blame the right people.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16801 replies156 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Epstein is a detestable character who should have been imprisoned and impoverished long ago, but the current faux outrage over the deal Acosta brokered is political posturing.

That's kind of offensive. There is plenty of sincere, completely justified outrage over this.
    It's sickening.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1589 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oh, there is plenty of real outrage to be felt about this case. The "faux" part is the attack on Acosta. Anyone selling you that story is covering up the real story, where the real outrage should be. Acosta is not the reason Epstein got by with so much for so long. Now his good friend and frequent companion Bill Clinton might be, but never mind that, or the other people who kept him safe this long.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1206 replies24 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    MomofJandL wrote: »
    Now his good friend and frequent companion Bill Clinton might be, but never mind that, or the other people who kept him safe this long.

You conveniently forgot to mention Esptein's other friend who happens to be the current POTUS (google Trump/Epstein tape).
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38452 replies6720 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    MomofJandL wrote: »
    Now his good friend and frequent companion Bill Clinton might be, but never mind that, or the other people who kept him safe this long.

You conveniently forgot to mention Esptein's other friend who happens to be the current POTUS (google Trump/Epstein tape).

Let's keep any political commentary out of the thread, please.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8806 replies72 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 18
    My local papers and tv news follow this story closely. Just like the principal at local HS who questions if the Holocaust is a truth. And the people in PB who lose business every time the streets are closed Let alone the airport. We have also had the worst seaweed on beaches, so can’t even go there to relax. It’s been tough summer.
    I do hope I haven’t crossed a line , but certainly understand if my post is deleted. Just venting

Did I mention the massage parlor?
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3663 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 18
    I don't have a lot of confidence in the DOJ these days, but they see enough to investigate the Acosta plea deal:
    In a letter to Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote that the Office of Professional Responsibility had “opened an investigation into allegations that department attorneys may have committed professional misconduct in the manner in which the Epstein criminal matter was resolved.“

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/06/alexander-acosta-plea-deal-1152371

The US Attorney felt intimdated by Epstein's high-priced lawyers? The US Attorney? I got a bridge to sell ya! Acosta broke the law and should follow Epstein to jail.
    edited July 18
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2892 replies12 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    On the podcast Stay Tuned with Preet, there was mention that big decisions like Epstein’s case were certainly made “up the chain” at the DOJ, and not by Acosta alone.

Another podcast (cannot remember the name) mentioned how it’s not uncommon for high powered attorneys of wealthy clients go on a dirt digging & intimidation mission re: the prosecutors.

I know nothing about any of it, beyond often wondering what the real story is.
    · Reply · Share