right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Man who hit reporter’s backside on live TV is arrested on sexual battery charge

garlandgarland 16126 replies202 threads Senior Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/12/14/man-who-hit-reporters-backside-live-tv-is-arrested-sexual-battery-charge/?fbclid=IwAR1SzNmBs6LitYTJgf-69Myoh9eT4ddZ-h9n3xN6TELbZvvbfkKVu-c7MVM

I am so glad to see this kind of behavior being taken seriously and not just called harmless, or boys being boys (especially when the boy is a fortysomething cub scout leader and Sunday School teacher.)

Real progress, this is.
94 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Man who hit reporter’s backside on live TV is arrested on sexual battery charge

• Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19373 replies460 threads Senior Member
    I agree. The video of her reaction showed that she clearly felt violated. The fact that this man felt comfortable doing that on live TV tells me that he has room for growth.
    · Reply · Share
  • kpopmomrunnerkpopmomrunner 29 replies6 threads Junior Member
    I gather he wasn't apologetic with his actions too? Doesn't he know of personal space? SMH
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 2248 replies14 threads Senior Member
    From watching the video it was pretty clear whatever happened was deliberate. He was laser focused on her, approaching from behind.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2794 replies98 threads Senior Member
    He's a creep and I hope he gets everything coming to him!

Lesson for everyone...keep your hands to yourself.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5871 replies90 threads Senior Member
    Things like this and various security guards tossing kids around make me wonder if these folks have totally given up media or what. Even IF they were brought up to believe these things were ok, haven't they learned from all of the previous ones that they are not?

None of us are born knowing everything and have gaps in our education, but we really are supposed to add to our knowledge and modify our ways as we progress through life. Learning through other people's mistakes is part of that process. How have these folks missed that?

Hopefully others watching this will actually learn from it. They may have been brought up to think it's just fine - it happened in their family/friend group and no one cared or spoke up or whatever. But it's NOT ok, esp with strangers!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18692 replies327 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Do you all remember this story about the girl who punched a boy who kept snapping her bra? I love it!

https://stuffhappens.us/boy-at-school-snapped-her-14307/
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6042 replies189 threads Senior Member
    I don't condone this guy's behavior in any way. I think it was inappropriate, wrong, unacceptable. However I don't think it was criminal (unless he hit her a lot harder or there was much more going on than it appears in the video), and I don't consider what he did a "sexual assault". I think there are far more serious assaults and sexual assaults occurring in our world that are much more worthy of attention from our legal system.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 17268 replies163 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Also, the guy was charged with misdemeanor sexual battery, not sexual assault.
    A person in Georgia commits the crime of sexual battery by making physical contact with the intimate part (genitals, buttocks, or a woman’s breasts) of another person’s body without the consent of the other person.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/sex-crimes/georgia-sexual-battery-laws.htm
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34886 replies395 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Being hit on your rear end is NOT being hit on your backside! I too would be shocked if that happened to me.

I agree that he should NOT have been offered TV time to plead his case. The TV camera showed what he did, as did the many eyewitnesses!

I’m glad the reporter is proceeding against him. This kind of conduct is totally unacceptable!
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2794 replies98 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    @NJres and anyone else who thinks it's not such a big deal - look up Frotteurism and Toucherism -
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22121 replies234 threads Senior Member
    VeryHappy wrote: »
    Do you all remember this story about the girl who punched a boy who kept snapping her bra? I love it!

https://stuffhappens.us/boy-at-school-snapped-her-14307/

Boy, does this bring flashbacks. This was so common when I was in middle and high school but viewed as "boys will be boys" behavior. Ugh.

· Reply · Share