Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

No interviews offered--how does a candidate demonstrate interest?

lauriejgslauriejgs Registered User Posts: 415 Member
I was planning to take my DD to a university so she could have an interview with the admissions staff. I just learned that the school does not conduct admissions interviews. Other than applying ED, which she is not planning to do, how can she demonstrate her interest in the school? Does the fact that a student takes a campus tour count in his or her favor? Not everyone can spare the time or money to travel hours to see a school that won't even bother with interviews.

Replies to: No interviews offered--how does a candidate demonstrate interest?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,115 Senior Member
    Register for the tour and the information session. When your D starts to receive emails from the school, have her open each one (schools can tell if they are deleted without being opened).
  • Sdgal2Sdgal2 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    Many high schools host college reps and students are able to sign up for these and meet the reps in small group info sessions. These are great opportunities to introduce yourself, speak one on one, and get your name on the list.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,783 Forum Champion
    Also once she applies, have her open her student portal from time to time. If she has any questions about the school, she can email the admissions person.

Also look on the Common Data Set for that Univ. and see if they even care about interest. Some do, some don't.
  • thegrantthegrant Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    Other than the things stated above, i would just say the essay could really help in proving her interest
  • bajammbajamm Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    If you live a good distance from the school then have her email the admissions counselor with a question and mention where she is from somewhere in the conversation. Some schools do not hold not visiting against a student more than a certain number of miles away. She can demonstrate interest by emailing or calling with questions and by doing any optional essays.
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    If your kid take the SAT send them one of the free SAT. That's what we did on both schools that track interest.
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    Misguided worry. The school does not offer interviews, and that is just it. Interviews and expressions of interest rarely carry any importance. Do no sweat it.

Except for the asinine essay "Why XYZ" you should not waste precious lines with expressions of interest beyond ... applying.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,150 Senior Member
    I agree with xiggi, most schools really aren't paying that much attention, though according to GC at our school one student was put on the waiting list because she appeared not to have had a campus visit and they thought she was close enough that she should have arranged one. (She had just not officially.) She did come off the waitlist. I do think the best way to demonstrate interest is to write the Why___ college essay in a way that shows both that you understand what the college is about and what you have to offer.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,878 Senior Member
    Does the school care if she expresses interest? Google "<school name> common data set" and look in the admissions section of the latest one available (probably 2014-14). There is a list of things considered in admissions with "x"s next to them. Look at student interest and see what it says. It may not matter at all.

If it does matter, and you do want her to show interest, the types of things to do are:
    - Have her sign up for the email list at the admissions website
    - If they come to a college fair, have her visit the table to chat and register that she was there
    - Visiting campus and taking a tour is good, be sure she registers with admissions (don't just go on a Sunday night and walk around on your own...)

Many top schools don't do interviews. But they also don't necessarily care if you show interest.

Note that waiting to visit until after acceptance can backfire. Acceptance come in only about 5 weeks before decisions need to be made. Tickets/travel are expensive then, and time is short to see schools.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,115 Senior Member
    At some schools, if an applicant's stats put her in the 90th percentile of students, interest counts. It shows that the applicant is not using it as a safety.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,617 Forum Champion
    There are some colleges that don't really count demonstrated interest - you can google the school's common data set and check. But some things you can do are 1) be sure to be on the mailing list 2) email the admissions officer for your area -- just be sure your question is not covered on the school website 3) I'd still visit if at all possible (if your D is applying ED it is a good idea to see the school before she commits to going) and sign up for the official tour/information session 4) If the college comes to your D's high school she should attend the session 5) If the college comes to a nearby college fair go, sign in at their booth, and talk to the representative 6) Some colleges have online chats so she can check to see if those are offered and participate.
  • laticheverlatichever Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Many top schools don't do interviews. But they also don't necessarily care if you show interest.

Yes, but Williams, for example, which doesn't do interviews, will set up a meeting with an admissions counselor. I'm sure that doesn't hurt--given that you are otherwise competitive for admissions.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,672 Senior Member
    Some schools do NOT consider demonstrated interest in the admissions mix at all. They just don't.
  • lauriejgslauriejgs Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    Interesting. Thank you all! This never occurred to me. I remember interviewing a lot when I was applying back in the '80s.
  • SJTHSJTH Registered User Posts: 1,892 Senior Member
    Happy1 has it exactly right. College reps will often tell you if they track demonstrated interest. If they do, and they're deciding between two comparable students, one whose first and only contact is through the application; and who who visited (even at a college fair<) attended an info session at their high school, and who is already on their mailing list would probably be deemed someone who is more likely to attend. We don't recommend our students contact college reps with questions just to show interest, but if they have solid and deeper-than-the-website queries, that's certainly great.
This discussion has been closed.