Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A good article in the Atlantic on the problems at Reed and the Hum 101 protests

Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,233 Senior Member
edited November 6 in Parents Forum
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/11/the-surprising-revolt-at-reed/544682/

While much of this is an all too familiar recitation of the "do what I want or you are a racist" tactics of campus protesters, this is the first somewhat in depth treatment I have seen of a general push back from the student body against the crazy left. Some of the quotes from professors and upper class students, about the general fear of opposing the agenda of the protesters and others warning the freshmen who were leading the push back not to do so, are chilling.

One thing I think is obvious and that is no matter whether you personally support the agenda of the protesters or oppose them, the faculty and administration at Reed has utterly failed to lead the campus. That is very sad, and would enrage me if I were paying tuition there.

On a personal note, if there is one thing that would get me to vote for Donald Trump, it would be people hating on Steve Martin, comic genius.
Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on

Replies to: A good article in the Atlantic on the problems at Reed and the Hum 101 protests

• ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    There was an earlier thread on the topic.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/2017132-occupation-of-humanities-110-p1.html

In the meantime, this student group has moved on to occupying the office of Reed's president.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/10/reed_students_have_been_camped.html
    A rotating group of around 40 or 50 students at Reed College have been camped out in an administration building for nine days, demanding the the college divest from Wells Fargo. And the college is, largely, supporting the effort. It's our job to disrupt oppressive systems," Tiffany Chang, a sophomore, said Tuesday.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 927 Member
    My kid gets a ton of mail from Reed but won't be applying. They clearly cannot handle this situation.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,888 Senior Member
    Re: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2017/11/02/older-people-and-republicans-threatening-free-speech/

No surprise that support or opposition for freedom of speech tends to be selective and situational (i.e. more support for those on the same side politically, more opposition for those on the other side politically).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,063 Senior Member
    A friend's daughter went to Reed. Lasted one semester.This kind of stuff wasn't fun for her. She didn't like the drugs and pot smoking.
  • PetulaClarkPetulaClark Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    I am the parent of a freshman at Reed. I received an email from the President of Reed the first week of school, discussing the protests. I talked to my D about it, and got the sense that the vast majority of the student body were not supporting the disrupters. Weeks passed and I heard nothing more about it.

Now, thanks to CC members, I see that the Atlantic and WaPo have reported in the past week about the Hum 110 controversy and the Wells Fargo protest. I have not gotten any further updates on the protests by email or snail mail from administration. We did receive an invite from Parents and Family Weekend at Reed for Nov 3 through 5. Too far for us on the East Coast to attend. I wonder if admin was forthright that the school is kinda under siege. Instigated by 'a former sophomore, currently on leave from Reed' whatever that is.