right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A Big Thank you to CC as the Journey Comes to an End!

CValleCValle 788 replies69 postsRegistered User Member
I want to express my profound thanks to everyone on here who shared their expertise, their experiences, their wisdom, their advice!

I started out as a parent of an "average excellent" student who always had perfect grades. Like most parents - I thought that was the key to all those named schools we hear so much about.

Over time I learned and learned, I researched, I read the Fiske guide, I came on here.

We got the fantastic advice to apply to UPitt early in the rolling admissions cycle. She had an acceptance in hand early, along with a scholarship. She also was on the path to the Chancellor's Scholarship. She was eventually offered the Chancellors but for reasons detailed below, didn't accept it.

As we researched and talked the lure of a women's college began to take hold. She applied to 4 of the seven sisters and was admitted to all 4 of them. Scholarships from 3. No scholarship from Wellesley because they do not have merit aid.

She had a big list compared to most people on CC - she applied to 21 schools. It was a lot of work. But, in the end, the results were worth it. She did have too many reaches. But with a SAT of 1550 and very high grades they actually seemed possible at the time. Lesson learned.

We did our visits after the admissions came out - helped us to target our visits a bit. The women's colleges again stood out with amazing dorms, science facilities, campuses. She just fell in love with the coziness, the traditions, the focus on STEM, the focus on raising up future women leaders.

She has experienced what it feels like to visit a school that LOVES you (the Dean meets you, you are given access to numerous students, they have special tours for you) and to visit a school for whom you are just another number.

She has experienced being wooed by a school for a prestigious scholarship - the UPitt interview experience was really, really great.

She has had disappointment but I am so thankful that she never had a dream school that she was focused on. (I really think that might have been the BEST advice I got on CC - NO dream schools allowed).

In the end, she seriously considered UPitt...but it was just TOO big. She really wanted a small, women's LAC for the next 4 years (and it looks like she will have a chance for a big school for grad/medical school anyways.)

She will be attending Mount Holyoke as a 21st Century Scholar.

THANK you to everyone who shared so willingly with me over this experience.

46 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A Big Thank you to CC as the Journey Comes to an End!

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4107 replies29 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congratulations to your daughter @CValle!
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41527 replies447 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Congratulations! And thank you for letting us know :)

For future readers, parents or students:
    How did she decide between the different women's colleges?
    What surprised you most?
    What would you do differently?
    I remember that your husband had a set list of 'acceptables" originally- for other children of Asian parents, or parents whose other half is Asian, how did you and your daughter convince him?
    edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • rphcfbrphcfb 228 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @CValle,
    Congratulations to your daughter!!!

We attended its “Focus On Admission” day there and were very impressed. We still love the college. I would recommend that parents take their daughters to spend this annual college visit day at Mt Holyoke.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 1249 replies44 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congrats to your daughter!!! I hope she loves it at Mt. Holyoke!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 3859 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yay, my alma mater! Congratulations to your daughter, @CValle ! She will love it there!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73741 replies3213 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Excellent. So happy for your daughter!
    · Reply · Share
  • twinsmamatwinsmama 1604 replies53 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congratulations! CC is a wonderful resource, and I have been wondering myself how I will pull away from it. :-) My daughter also applied to a lot of schools (16, without a true safety in the mix) and truly wished she could go to most of them. I hope your daughter will be very happy and successful at Mount Holyoke!
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2072 replies99 postsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    Congratulations to your daughter and best wishes for a wonderful four years at Mount Holyoke!
    · Reply · Share
  • momcincomomcinco 1047 replies23 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Great! Thanks for coming back to share the journey and the outcome. Best wishes for a happy 4 years!
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37819 replies2063 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I think the journey is just beginning! Please stick around CC! You won't be sorry. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55101 replies2859 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congrats to you and your daughter!!! Keep us posted!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33093 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Bff is a MHC grad in stem, excellent education, great opportinities, life long friendships. And you have the consortium.
    Congrats.
    · Reply · Share
  • worelyclanworelyclan 54 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    GREAT school. Congratulations!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12618 replies231 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wonderful! And if she feels like a different setting at any point she has UMass, Amherst, Smith and Hampshire to choose from for classes :)
    · Reply · Share
  • wisteria100wisteria100 4174 replies47 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congrats @CValle Job well done!
    · Reply · Share
  • i012575i012575 423 replies41 postsRegistered User Member
    edited April 2018
    @CValle , thank you for your post and in elucidating why your D chose MHC. I too am from India (1st generation) and my Ds were born here in the US. My D1 did her undergrad at Pitt (she chose it over Harvard and UPenn as she was a GAP attendee) and now is in her 2nd year of Med school. She has had a fabulous experience at Pitt, both socially and academically.

Why am I mentioning all this now? I think it is rather important to consider the social aspects while deciding on a college for an international student. I just think that your D would have received a broader "life's experiences" at a place like Pitt as compared to a more sheltered place like MHC. I still remember when my D was recommended by her elementary school to transfer her to a school for the gifted. But her mom had other ideas. She wanted my D to be raised with kids of her age and abilities and not turn out to be a social misfit. And that was one of the best decisions we have ever made!

Congratulations to your D and to your family!
    edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity