Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Advice for Middle/Junior High

2»

Replies to: Advice for Middle/Junior High

• ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    edited March 15
    @txstella Good thought! I know they have a "no exceptions" hard date for starting K, but I don't know how much holding back parents do. I would suspect you may be onto something b/c with three Top 30 National Universities w/in spitting distance, I bet it's pretty competitive.

@SJ2727 My DH didn't drive until he was 19. LOL... New Yorker!

Edited to add-- My apologies if I don't get back to repsond right away. DH just called, even though we are probably a good 2 months from being ready to put the house on the market, friends of his are very interested and want to see it... Tomorrow. (I need an emoji w/ a crazed chicken running around)
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 Registered User Posts: 1,149 Senior Member
    Based on kids I have seen who have been held back (from kids in K to kids in middle school), in general, the ones who were solid students were still solid. The ones who went from being very strong in grammar school and just average or above average, holding them back didn't make them superior students. In fact, some of the kids ( one of my nephews in particular) had a hard time in later years being older and more mature ( not to mention taller). I think he would have been more of a leader had nature just taken it's course. Taking a scholastic hit in middle school isn't a big deal like it is in high school.
    Parents know what's best for their kids, but having a kid work hard to get better grades is teaching a very important lesson IMHO. My sister recently was talking about a 20 year old Senior. IMO, that kid has lost valuable years. Years in which he could have been in college. Instead he was in high school ( held back in early years, then later for Prep school to gain scholastic advantage). No, he didn't go Division I on sports. He ended up right where he would have if he had stayed in public school.
    Many kids when they find out a kid is older, think the kid is dumb ( even if there was good reason to hold back-like an illness). I have heard the kids talking about this. Kids talk about this often when they are going to sports. And kids resent kids who are older and repeated a grade that is now excelling in sports due to the extra year. It's pretty common in our area to hold kids back. Mainly, it's boys and mainly it's families chasing an advantage (often sports or academic). Sometimes then send the kids to private middle school and repeat there. Just haven't seen anything change but maybe they think the kid has gained something valuable.

The social landscape is weird for almost every middle schooler.

• yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 976 Member
    My son is also one of the youngest in his class (July birthday) and one of the tallest. He had some social problems in middle school, probably more related to his shyness than age, but once he found his crowd he thrived. It certainly helped that his crowd consisted of other smart nerdish kids who tend to mature later in non-intellectual areas.
2»