Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Timing Alert

Replies to: Timing Alert

• ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Just to add to you list:

7a. Once you start filling out your AMCAS, send you transcript right away so when you do submit you AMCAS in June, verification process will be quick.

*Also this year you could start sending you primary on June 5th.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Okay -- so best day to send in Primary is probably June 10 or so, then. The point is you want to give it a few days after the window is open in case AMCAS is having any computer problems.
  • thecalccobrathecalccobra Registered User Posts: 902 Member
    wait i have a question. Why do you guys not suggest starting studying for the MCAT very early? I mean ill be a senior in high school and i have started. And how is that bad? I have ec's and volunteer experience and instead of partying and enjoying my summer i instead am studying for the MCAT. I just dont get what is the downfall of doing this.
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    "Instead of partying and enjoying my summer i instead am studying for the MCAT."

^^^That's why. You're in high school. Have some fun because you probably won't get to once you're doing premed in college or in med school. Everything you need to know for the MCAT can be reviewed/studied/practiced in 2-3 months. BDM says this. BRM says this. I say this. And we've all taken the MCAT and, presumably, all only spent a few months on it. I don't see how extra preparation would help.
    BDM says this. BRM says this. I say this.
    It's worth pointing out that none of the three of us have MCAT scores below the 95th percentile. We can wait and see what Shades (similar range) has to say, too.
  • socalboysocalboy Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    how long are MCATs scoers "effective"?

like if you plan to take the test sophomore year, will it last until applications in senior year?
    Three years. A test taken at the end of your third year will permit you to delay for one year.
  • shades_childrenshades_children Registered User Posts: 2,206 Senior Member
    thecalccobra:

If this was a Greek play, like... The Bacchae, you'd be Pentheus, the foolish young king, and BDM, BRM, norcalguy, and I would be the chorus, moaning and groaning over the state of affairs in Thebes. You haven't even taken the courses you'll need for the MCAT - Bio I and II, Gen. Chem I and II, Orgo I and II, and Physics I and II. Somehow, you think studying for the MCAT is going to be fruitful?

BDM, BRM, norcalguy, and I are telling you to stop studying because it's pointless overkill. What's the chance of you understanding material you haven't even learned yet? What's the chance you're going to remember all that material in three years? I started "studying for the MCAT" the summer before my junior year, and it was dumb because I didn't remember much. I started a Kaplan review course in January, and within three months, I had what I needed to know down pat. Well, pat enough to do 95+ percentile.

Put down the study material. Go and enjoy your summer. Seriously.
    A typo in post #23. Correction here: A test taken at the end of your second year will permit you to delay for one year.
  • invision_salesinvision_sales Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Quick question- I attend a school that operates on the quarter system. Finals aren't over until the 12th of June, and I honestly have no idea when final transcripts are availible. As far as I know, your transcript has to be sent to AMCAS to be verified before your application is approved. How will this affect my application?
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,708 Senior Member
    What is the best way to get an idea of sample questions that might be seen on secondaries?
  • Naur UluithiadNaur Uluithiad Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    What is the time suggestion for this? I have heard some people say turn them in as soon as possible, while others say that you should wait until the end of around 4 weeks so you don't seem too eager. Thoughts?
  • Monty8701Monty8701 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Earlier is definitely better, but you don't want your applications to appear to be rushed. You have to find a balance between writing quality essays and being cognizant of the fact that the medical school application process is extremely competitive with time, in this case, being one of the few factors that you can actually control. You have to be "eager" in expressing your interest in a particular school or else you may not receive an interview until a much later date. I'm pretty sure that with the huge volumes of applications that admissions offices receive, there is not a person monitoring "when" you submitted your secondary as opposed to its quality.
    Too eager?? That's ridiculous.
  • bookiemombookiemom Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    The prevailing thought right now is that secondaries should be turned in within two weeks max.
This discussion has been closed.