Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell vs Rice vs UChicago vs Others

2»

Replies to: Cornell vs Rice vs UChicago vs Others

• ldmom06ldmom06 Registered User Posts: 5,564 Senior Member
    I don't think the issue is just whether Rice is known or well respected. That Rice is both is without question. The issue is also where in the US a grad would like to work and also whether a strong network of alum exist in the industry in which that grad would like to work. Just an example....here in Houston, a Cornell engineering grad would most likely take a back seat to a Texas A&M engineering grad despite the fact that Cornell has a more prestigious engineering program. The Aggie network is that strong here in Houston.

So the OP needs not to just consider whether Rice is well regarded, but where he will work and how easily he will hire in that geographic area with a Rice diploma.
  • sergeserge . Posts: 503 Member
    that is of course assuming that people put their college affiliation first when hiring instead looking for the most qualified candidate.
  • ldmom06ldmom06 Registered User Posts: 5,564 Senior Member
    Never underestimate the power of a strong alumni network in the real world. Here in Houston and Texas, A&M and UT have extremely large, formidable alumni associations and the affiliation goes a long way in career advancement. And of course, here, Rice grads are revered even though their alum numbers don't approach that of the big flagships.
  • MDPKVMDPKV Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Rice is definitely a small school with a big name. But I agree that a surprising number of people in the Northeast know little or nothing about Rice. Here in Maryland, when I tell people I'm going to Rice, I usually get a blank stare followed by, "Oh, where is that?"

On the other hand, those who have heard of it (and these are mostly professional people) know that it's an amazing school. I seriously doubt that transferring to Rice from Cornell would impair your chances of landing a job in the Northeast. I had a similar concern a while back when I was making my college decision, but when I talked to teachers and counselors about it they thought I was being rediculous. What attracts me most to Rice is its close-knit environment and its prestigious name (without the snobbery I found in other competing universities).
  • sergeserge . Posts: 503 Member
    no snobbery is the key...thats what i loved about it
2»
This discussion has been closed.