Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rice Class of 2023 ED Discussion Thread

Replies to: Rice Class of 2023 ED Discussion Thread

• jmeryllmanjmeryllman Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    edited January 18
    Going ED because we got lured by the "Rice Investment" is becoming to be our biggest regret. We feel a little helpless right now. We are stuck with no options. We did use the cost calculator online, but we did it before the announcement for Rice Investment. My ignorance and naivete were our biggest mistake, I thought the Rice Investment initiative would help us out.
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    @jmeryllman - Thank you for posting as it will help other families, but I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm sure it is extremely stressful. When you did the net price calculator, how did that compare with what you were offered? Did your child end up submitting other applications as back up? Best of luck with the appeal.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    edited January 19
    @jmeryllman Get Rice to walk you through how it applied the formula. Perhaps Rice is missing something or you can provide more helpful information. In case the ED route won't work out financially, some schools are still accepting applications until 2/1including Trinity, Baylor, TCU, U of Houston. SMU might consider a late app. Your student would be a shoo in at most of these places and might get a lot of merit $.
    Post edited by Houston1021 on
  • Meadow530Meadow530 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    @jmeryllman

Did you apply ED before they released the new NPC? It came out like the day after the Rice Investment announcement. I had already run ours and the new formulas didn’t help us much. We ultimately decided we didn’t want to ED, so we are still waiting for RD. (But since then daughter was accepted to Honors at UT, so she may choose that instead. Is much cheaper for us.)

But your numbers are interesting because the NPC was showing 40k for us. So almost down to half price. We have a higher income than you listed (more like 180) but we do have a family size of 7, which helps. Also, we do not have a ton of assets. Do you have a lot of equity in your home? Your 401k won’t count, but home equity will. A rental property perhaps? Fully funded 529s? Do you think you possibly make a mistake?

Why don’t you run the NPC right now and compare? That might be helpful.
  • RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    Rice’s RD apps up by 30%, Brown’s 9%
  • TechGuy70TechGuy70 Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    This number is high 27K. Number of seats to applications is very high compared to UPenn.
  • firefox226firefox226 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Hi guys! Is there a solid date that Rice RD will come out? I checked the website but maybe I was looking in the wrong places because I couldn't find it haha
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    They didn't tell ED when decisions would come out until about a week in advance, so I wouldn't expect a solid date from them until early or mid-March. @Faulkner1897, who is usually right (or pretty dang close) about these things, predicts March 22.
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    I think it was @Houston1021 who made that predication but they are usually pretty good at this too!
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    March 22 would make sense if Rice holds true to past patterns. As @Faulkner1897 said on another thread, all past decision release patterns may be out the window this year given the large uptick in applications.
  • collegefun12345collegefun12345 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Rice only offers ED Binding and RD non-binding!
  • jmeryllmanjmeryllman Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Update: We submitted a letter of appeal with Financial Aid on Jan 18. They said, it will take 2 weeks to get a reply. After that 2 weeks, we were told it would take another 2-3 weeks. After 3 weeks, they said they will eventually get to us with no timeline. Still very stressful situation for us. So, as of today, we do not have a resolution to our appeal.

Also, admissions asked for the midterm transcript. What are they looking for? The good thing is that my daughter's midterm transcript is better than what was submitted. Are they going to ask for the final transcript?
  • Faulkner1897Faulkner1897 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    Colleges always request midterm and final transcripts, even for ED students. This is to make sure that the student is still maintaining their academic focus. It is rare to get rescinded, and Bs won't do it, but if a student drops to Cs and Ds that would be a problem!
  • janes2019janes2019 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    For Rice accepted students visit - I gather that, if the timing is the same as last year, it will be Thurs - Fri April 11-12. Anyone know if students should plan to be there first thing on Thursday? And stay through Friday evening (depart Saturday)? We are flying from northern VA, and I'd like to book some flights on Southwest, and a hotel (both can cancel or change if needed). Thank you!