right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Test Optional apps: should we submit PSAT score since the SAT won't be taken until September?

benlurkinbenlurkin 7 replies2 threads New Member
Our TX school's March 25th SAT was cancelled. The exam is now set for September (hopefully!!). DS would like to apply to a couple schools in late August -- should we include his PSAT of 1460 instead for the interim? Will the colleges understand the score differentials?
edited June 24
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Test Optional apps: should we submit PSAT score since the SAT won't be taken until September?

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5356 replies89 threads Senior Member
    Are the schools he wants to apply to without a test score test optional?
    · Reply · Share
  • benlurkinbenlurkin 7 replies2 threads New Member
    Yes, they are. We are considering sending PSAT scores for two reasons:
    a)Many TX schools were able to take an earlier March SAT and we don't want AOs to think he took it and did poorly
    and
    b) it's a pretty good score and should point to an SAT of >1500
    · Reply · Share
  • Momof3BMomof3B 415 replies6 threads Member
    edited June 24
    During a zoom meeting with a regional admissions officer for TAMU back in May, we were told that when applications open up Aug 1, go ahead complete the application, then once the student is able to test (end of august, september, october) to send the test scores at that time. As long as the test scores were received by Dec 15, it will be okay.

UT Austin and TAMU have both announced they are going test optional for this application cycle. My son's school day SAT was cancelled also (March 25th) and he hasn't been able to take SAT or ACT yet. He's supposed to take the ACT July 18 and SAT Aug 29th. We're not going to directly send scores for either. We'll wait and see how he does and then decide if he's going to apply test optional to those two, His application is pretty strong except for testing..he has test anxiety and doesn't test well, but his gpa, class rank and EC's are strong.
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share
  • izrk02izrk02 Forum Champion American U. 1088 replies51 threads Forum Champion
    edited June 24
    I'm not aware of any colleges that would use a PSAT score for admissions purposes, correct me if there are any of course. You can always call and ask, but I wouldn't think that they would accept it. There's also no way to send official PSAT score reports to colleges through the College Board website from what I can see.
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share
  • hillybeanhillybean 41 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited June 24
    My son's spring SAT test dates were canceled and he has not yet been able to get a fall test date. All schools but one of twelve that he is interested are test optional. We may submit his PSAT score to those schools. He is a NMCS so we will at least list that on the Common App.
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share
    izrk02 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any colleges that would use a PSAT score for admissions purposes, correct me if there are any of course. You can always call and ask, but I wouldn't think that they would accept it. There's also no way to send official PSAT score reports to colleges through the College Board website from what I can see.

I should clarify -- I don't mean to send it as anything "official," rather, to mention it supplementally in hopes of boosting our chances. Some schools have been known to reply with admissions decisions before the time the SAT scores will be available this fall.

· Reply · Share
    edited June 24
    hillybean wrote: »
    My son's spring SAT test dates were canceled and he has not yet been able to get a fall test date. All schools but one of twelve that he is interested are test optional. We may submit his PSAT score to those schools. He is a NMCS so we will at least list that on the Common App.

DS is also commended and we're hoping against hope that the selection index will go down from last year so he'll be a SF :). Do you think all the AOs understand the PSAT is not on a 1600 scale? Maybe that's obvious but I still wonder.
    edited June 24
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5356 replies89 threads Senior Member
    I don't see a downside to self-reporting the PSAT on the common app, or Apply Texas app. I also think AOs know the PSAT is not on a 1600 scale, but you could always write 1460 out of 1520, or 1460 (99th percentile).
    · Reply · Share
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    I don't see a downside to self-reporting the PSAT on the common app, or Apply Texas app. I also think AOs know the PSAT is not on a 1600 scale, but you could always write 1460 out of 1520, or 1460 (99th percentile).

Thanks, that's helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2264 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited June 25
    It's not going to hurt, but I doubt it's going to help.
    "a)Many TX schools were able to take an earlier March SAT and we don't want AOs to think he took it and did poorly"

Why would mentioning a PSAT score on the application eliminate this concern?

I'd suggest a better strategy to address this would be a note on the application that the state SAT test at your school was cancelled as he plans to take it in September.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.
    edited June 25
    · Reply · Share
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    It's not going to hurt, but I doubt it's going to help.
    "a)Many TX schools were able to take an earlier March SAT and we don't want AOs to think he took it and did poorly"

Why would mentioning a PSAT score on the application eliminate this concern?

My thought was that it would show a decent score on the PSAT to give them an idea of where he stands until he's able to submit actual SAT scores. I'm also considering that some of the schools may make admissions decisions before his scores are released.

Considering that the game has really changed with going TO, I'm trying to find any angle. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10178 replies119 threads Senior Member
    I would have your child use the new covid box to let schools know his test date was cancelled and share the PSAT score.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30394 replies59 threads Senior Member
    You evidently believe that the PSAT score will give a bit additional consideration. No one can with veracity say it absolutely will not , so go on ahead.

If AOs are thinking along the line you believe they are, they well know when the students can next test and if those scores don’t show up, possibly make assumptions down the path you are assuming. The PSAT score does not show up in any of their internal records sonI truly doubt they ‘ll give it a thought. I’ve known too many kids who did not live up to SAT expectations extrapolating upwards from PSAT.
    With the number of apps these AOs have to process, it’s not going to be something to consider.

But when one gets a thought, an idea like this in mind, difficult to dispel so go ahead and include the score somewhere.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 25
    You evidently believe that the PSAT score will give a bit additional consideration. No one can with veracity say it absolutely will not , so go on ahead.
    But when one gets a thought, an idea like this in mind, difficult to dispel so go ahead and include the score somewhere.

LOL! I guess I'll give it some time to see how things play out. The situation is unprecedented so I suppose a lot of our decisions will just be us winging it...

edited June 25
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30394 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Yes. But if you have a gut feeling about something, do act upon it because it may bother you if you do not. I recommend being discrete about it. You may well be right that it could make a bit of a difference. Unlikely either of our opinions get proven one way or the other
    · Reply · Share