right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

March SAT Prep

WannabeWannabeWannabeWannabe 96 replies27 threads Junior Member
Hey guys!

I recently took the SAT Practice Test #3 and got a 1510, with a 800 on math and 710 on RW, with mistakes spread throughout R and W, but leaning towards R. How can I get this to a 1550+ by March?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: March SAT Prep

• izrk02izrk02 516 replies19 threads Member
    If you're looking for a free option, try the Khan Academy SAT prep. Helped me raise my math score by 200 points. (But don't freak out, a 1510 is still an amazing score!)
    · Reply · Share
  • WannabeWannabeWannabeWannabe 96 replies27 threads Junior Member
    Thanks! However, I'm focusing on improving my RW.
    · Reply · Share
  • DriFitDriFit 17 replies1 threads Junior Member
    For me personally, Reading is the section I have the biggest fluctuations in. Even if you're really prepared, it might just be the text that you're not comfortable with (that can make a difference of 40-50 points).

One of my friends got an 800 in reading, and he mainly prepped with PrepScholar. Maybe that's something you want to look into. However, they charge you $400 for signing up...
    · Reply · Share
  • WannabeWannabeWannabeWannabe 96 replies27 threads Junior Member
    Any other tips???
    · Reply · Share
  • spano30spano30 12 replies0 threads New Member
    For the W&L section, keep on doing practice sections and identifying specifically which types of questions you are consistently getting wrong. Are you unsure of when to use colons? Commas? Semi-colons? Narrow down exactly what is leading to errors and commit yourself to learning the appropriate rules for such concepts (I can provide more help here if you cite specifically what concept is difficult for you).

For Reading, you may want to try reading the passages a little quicker (60-90 seconds) so that you can spend more time on the questions themselves. Generally, your first "reading" of the passage should be quick and used to determine the general idea of it. This means you should focus on verbs (is, was, are, am were, be, have, has, had) since they will direct you to the most important events in the passage. It also means you can skip over words as you read and trust in your mind's unconscious ability to pick up on what is important and what is less important (extra details). Then, you can begin answering questions and "re-reading" the relevant portions of the passage more closely (i.e. parts of the passage with supporting evidence for correct answers). As you do this, you will become more of an expert on the passage. I would also suggest leaving "main idea"/"central claim" questions for last. After you've answered the more "specific" questions, you will have a much better understanding of the passage, seeing as you've re-read a lot of it in order to answer the other questions. At this point, the main idea of the passage should be much more apparent to you. Again, if there are specific reading questions that are consistently giving you issues, identify which they are and spend time learning how to effectively answer them. I can also provide more help here if you tell me exactly which questions you get consistently wrong.

Hope this helps!
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1938 replies31 threads Senior Member
    edited January 23
    Thanks! However, I'm focusing on improving my RW.

Then I would suggest you use the “SAT Reading and Writing practice” section of Khan and don’t use the “SAT Math practice” section.
    edited January 23
    · Reply · Share
  • udonlordudonlord 16 replies3 threads Junior Member
    If you want a better RW score you should just ruthlessly grind Khan Academy problems and go over old exams you've taken to review your weak points.

Honestly though, unless you're going for a 1600 or bust (Which I don't recommend doing) your scores are pretty much fine. FWIW, The highest I ever got on a practice test was a 1490, then shot up to a 1550+ on test day, so a 1510 on a practice test is great. Maybe me and practice tests just don't get along but just keep studying at your normal pace and get plenty of sleep the night before and you're easily looking at a 1500+ score. Just my 2 cents
    · Reply · Share