Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• Opinion559Opinion559 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    silverturtle: I got a 4 on AP Computer science A. Are 4s considered a bad score on the APs for HYPS-M admissions? Especially since I am projecting myself as a math and science person? I have won awards for both Math and Biology so far. I also got an A in the AP compuer Science course in school, this year. I am taking chemistry next year. But this 4 on comp. sci has come as a shock for me. How much will it affect my chances and what can I do to compensate for this?

I know a lot of you out there are going to call me an over achiever and I am whining but when I am an ORM and acceptance rates are in the 5% to 8% range, its quite worrisome for me.

Any constructive advise/criticism will be appreciated.
  • FlyingWombatFlyingWombat Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I think APs are self-reported, so you don't have to report your 4. To answer your question though, despite the fact that you are an ORM, I think that if the rest of your application is strong enough, colleges will overlook your 4. A lone 4 is not a great detriment to your application, as admission officers are supposed to look at your application holistically, but when compared to ORMs, anything shortcoming could stand out. f you are concerned about the AP class appearing on your transcript, but no AP score to reflect that, you could consider retaking, but that may potentially jeopardize your grades other classes due to the time required.
    @FlyingWombat: Thanks! I did think about the possibility of repeating the exam but I will be taking 4 APs in school next year and I am planning to self study AP Statistics. This course load plus my SATS/other ECS/USABO( I was a semifinalist this year), USNCO/AMC might not give me enough time to redo AP computer science exam.

Since most colleges don't seem to give credit for AP Computer Science so can I safely assume that they don't care about the AP score for Computer Science?
    Also, when you say AP scores are self reported, does that mean college board never send the scores to them or after you get admitted an official transcript of all AP scores has to be sent to the college?
    The gist of my question is can you pass the quantitative filters with a 4 in AP computer Science? I understand that once you cross that threshold they start looking at everything else on your application and scores won't matter anymore.
  • thegreatasianthegreatasian Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @silverturtle do you have any advice for improving on the inference questions in the critical reading section?
  • enigma2095enigma2095 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I like pie.
  • hereabroadeduhereabroadedu Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Great SAT guide, very comprehensive. I've had an admissions professional look over this and he was impressed that this guide is written by a HS student.
  • theSATtakertheSATtaker Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Awesome guide it is.
    Never old :)
  • photon354photon354 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Thank you silverturtle for your outstanding guide!
  • sunwardflyersunwardflyer Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    Expertly written!
  • breyes2696breyes2696 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    This guide is incredible. Thank you silverturtle.
  • limetegalimetega Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Thank you for the informative guide :) My brother scored a 2380 on the SAT and showed me this guide. I'm a rising junior, and I was wondering if the section about the SAT Math II could be elaborated? I used the Barron's Math II book and took the test twice my sophomore year (when i was taking precal). I made a 720 the first time, and when I took it again the following month scored a disappointing 660. I was occupied with school work and ecs at that time, so I only completed 2 and a half practice tests. Is it worth to take more practice tests and retest next month? or should I use another resource? I really want an 800, but I'm worried that my scores won't improve
  • MishigMishig Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Amazing guide. Really appreciate
  • MathTeamExtraProMathTeamExtraPro - Posts: 269 Junior Member
    silver turtle, i truly think you should've started your grammar guide by informing the viewers of how to recognize indep. and dep. clauses along with prepositions and adjective modifiers. :/ that's how my english class learnt it and it went pretty smoothly.
  • PlatypusParadoxPlatypusParadox Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    This is a very extensive and helpful guide. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.